Thursday, November 3, 2011

31 Weeks


**I realize that these pregnancy updates may be boring for some people to read, but I am going to do it anyway.  People keep asking me how this pregnancy compares to the one I had with Aubrey, and I honestly can't remember that much about my pregnancy with Aubs.  That was almost 5 years ago, I wasn't blogging back then, I was terrible at keeping a journal, and I have a bad memory.  So this is my attempt at record keeping, just in case it's another 5 years before I can have another baby.

Well, it seems that my hopes for having a smaller baby this time around are not likely to be realized.  I knew I was getting pretty big, but I had quite a shock when at my 29 week appointment I measured 34 centimeters.  What the what?  How is that even possible?  Just three weeks before that, I had measured 27 centimeters.  So in a matter of 3 weeks, I went from 27 cm to 34cm.  Holy growth spurt, Batman!  Needless to say, my doctor was just as shocked as I was.  Especially because I passed my glucose test with flying colors, and have not gained a ton of weight.  So she decided to schedule an ultrasound to measure the baby and my fluid levels.

So the next week (30 weeks along) I had the ultrasound.  The ultrasound was quite fun actually.  Matt and Aubrey came along and we all got to see baby brother.  He was very active, and cute as a button.  It's always so fun to see them when they're further along, and actually look like a baby.  We got a few good looks at his face, and confirmed again that he is indeed a boy.  The ultrasound showed him measuring about 33 weeks and 2 days.  Their estimate for his weight was 4lbs 10oz.  Which is kind of really a lot for only being 30 weeks.  They said that their measurements can be off by as much as a pound in either direction.  And as much as I would like to think that they were off by a pound smaller...I know what this baby feels like inside of me.  And it feels ginormous.  Really, really ginormous.

So what does this all mean for my hopes of a natural VBAC?  Well, I don't really know yet.  My desire to have a vbac has not changed at all.  My fear/insecurity about whether or not I will be able to do it has.  So I think for now I am still going to plan on and prepare myself for the natural childbirth experience that I am looking for (as a matter of fact, I just typed up my birth plan today) and just hope and pray that I can go into labor a few weeks early (everyone send out positive vibes for December 20th!).  Because I really don't want to try to push out a 10-11 lb baby.  We will see how it goes.  But ultimately, I just want this boy to get here as safely as possible.  And no matter how he gets to us, if he can get here healthy and whole...then I will be so thrilled.

How am I feeling?  Pretty darn uncomfortable.  I am just starting to get to the part of pregnancy where I am not enjoying myself very much.  Just yesterday I said to Matt "I'm really starting to get sick of being pregnant".  At least I made it to 31 weeks before saying that!  My biggest complaint at this point is back pain.  The heartburn has gotten better, I haven't been having leg cramps, and I can still get my shoes on.  But hauling this big baby around all day is really doing a number on my back.  It hurts when I stand, it hurts when I sit, and it hurts when I lay down.  The only times it doesn't really hurt are when I get on my hands and knees, or sit in a warm bath.

In other pregnancy news, I am beginning to feel super anxious about being ready for the baby.  I am constantly making to-do lists, and lists of things we need to buy.  We need to paint the nursery!  And get a new rocking chair!  And a breast pump!  And a new diaper bag!  Do we have enough clothes?  But the crappy thing is that I am also trying to get all of my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving.  Christmas shopping and preparing for a baby at the same time?  Not so fun for my stress level.  Or the bank account.  But Matt keeps assuring me that it will all get done in time, and that we won't go broke in the process.  Thanks goodness for that calm headed man.

So, time keeps marching on.  I am still amazed at how fast this pregnancy has seemed to move along.  Here is to hoping that the next 9 weeks (or 7 weeks, wink wink!) go just as fast!

7 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Oh sister. I can totally relate to you. I told Taylor that I can't imagine me getting any bigger than I already am! I am already sick of being pregnant and I am only 30 weeks! You made it farther than I did, so good job! I too plan on going natural. Crossing my fingers for both of us :) As for a 10 pound baby, I know many mothers who delivered a baby that size and were just fine. It can be done!

The Adventurous Spencer said...

Well, big or little, he's going to be adorable! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it all goes according to your plans!

Ashley said...

SENDING POSITIVE VIBES!!!!!! You look so cute, sorry you are getting uncomfortable, at least you are almost there!!!

Morley Fam said...

You are so cute! I love the baby belly! I am hoping for December 19th-its a better day than the 20th:) And maybe your doctor will start you earlier if you are still getting bigger! I cant wait for your little guy to be here! have you tried a body pillow? It is sure helping me right now and I'm a few weeks behind you.:) Love ya megs!
p.s. loved the holy batman part! It made me laugh out loud!

whitney said...

You're one of the cutest pregnant girls ever :)

Hang in there, Miss! If you have any VBAC questions, feel free to send 'em my way!
whitney.lifferth@gmail.com

Eliza said...

I have birthed a 7lb baby, an 8 lb 4 oz baby, and a 9 lb 2 oz baby and honestly I can say the bigger sized baby was not any more difficult.

Your body is made to do this! You'll be in my prayers that these last number of weeks go smoothly (and quickly) for you.

Melanie said...

You look so adorable! We're rooting for an early birthday, and a VBAC if you can!