The stomach flu made it's way to our house this week.
It started with Aubrey. Matt went to check on her Tuesday morning before he left for work, and discovered that she had thrown up in her bed. So he got me up, and I took all the bedding off of her bed while he got her in the shower. Then he decided that he would stay home from work to help me with her during the day. He was busy, but did a lot of work from home that day. And whenever my fetal girth made a job like showering with Aubrey or making her bed difficult, he stepped right in and took over. It was a huge help.
Well, despite my mad efforts at sanitizing and my constant demands to "wash your hands!", I woke up at 3:00am on Friday morning with what I can only describe as a violent case of the pukes. I'm talking full body heaving, at 31 weeks pregnant. Which should totally be against the rules of the universe. What commenced was the absolute worst stomach flu I have ever experienced in my entire life. And I'm not exaggerating.
So, yet again my husband called in to work, and stayed home to take care of me and Aubrey (who was all better at that point, but still needed parental supervision...which I was totally incapable of giving). He went to the store and bought me Sprite, Coke, Gatorade, popsicles, and jello. He rubbed my feet and legs with coconut oil. He ran me a bath. He gave me a blessing. When I became to weak to walk to the bathroom each time I was sick, he brought me a "barf bucket", and then cleaned it out for me every time I needed him to. He urged me to drink, drink, drink. When it became abundantly clear that I was not going to keep anything down, he went and picked up an anti-nausea prescription that my doctor called in for me. When I begged him to "put me out of my misery" and "just put a bullet in my head", he said "why don't we just wait for another 15 hours before we consider that too seriously...ok, Honey?" Now, that's true love!
And all the while, he took Aubrey to her horse back riding lesson, fed her 3 meals and several snacks, dressed her, did her hair (sort of ;), did all of her potty visits, AND took a bunch of calls for work, and did some work from home on his laptop.
The anti-nausea medication started working last night, and I am feeling much better today...just quite weak, sore, and tired. Matt had to leave and do some work for his Dad today, so he dropped Aubrey off at his parents house so I could have more time to rest and recover. And during this quiet time that I've had to myself, I have really been able to reflect on the last 24 hours...and despite the HORRIBLE experience it was, I can only feel so grateful to have such a good man in my life. I am so thankful for his willingness to help, his kindness, and his gentleness.
And even though I hope and pray that he doesn't get it next...if he does, I will gladly return the favor.
4 comments:
Awww, that was a wonderful Matt tribute. I'm so glad you have such a stud husband because you deserve it! So sad you and Aubs had such a terrible bug. I'll keep up the prayers I've already had coming your way this last week or two with your big baby. Guess I'll just start praying for your tummy in general ;)
I'm glad you are feeling better! I cannot imagine being so sick. Matt is such a good husband to take care of you and Aubrey and squeeze work in between!
Wow. That is a great husband FOR SURE! I am so glad he was able to help you through such a horrible sickness. Poor girls! I pray he doesn't get it either!
I'm so incredibly sorry!!!!! That SHOULD be against the rules of the universe. So not fair! I'm glad you are feeling better and that you were well taken care of... and I'm glad to know that we weren't the ones that gave it to you, but still sad you got it. I can't believe how contagious that stomach flu has been. I hope you can stay healthy until baby comes!
Post a Comment