Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Guess What I Did Today?

I think I should start this blog post by pointing out that I seriously have the coolest brother on the planet. You may recall that I've had a few issues in the baking department. Namely in the chocolate chip cookie department. I blogged about it a few times, and I had several friends email me their favorite recipes/tips. My mother in-law even came over and tried to show me the light. But I kind of gave up after a while.

Well, it just so happens that my brother is a pretty amazing cook/baker. He got all the skills. So when he learned of my plight (seriously, what kind of mother can't make good cookies?) he took it upon himself to make it right. So for Christmas he got me everything I would need. A new cookie sheet, a silpat liner, an over thermometer, a food scale, and a #24 ice cream disher. Not to mention fresh baking powder and baking soda, and a bag of Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips.

But that's not all. No, that's not all. In addition, my brother spent several weeks trying to find the perfect ccc recipe. He searched high and low. He learned the science behind the cookie. He tried and erred. He made batch after batch after batch. He gained a few pounds in the process, and apparently so did his co-workers! But alas, he created the perfect recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Or at least, so he said.

So today, I finally had a moment where Aubrey was happy in her high chair, and I had plenty of time. I got brave, got out my new kitchen tools and ingredients, and got to work.

I have to tell you. It was pure success! These were the best cookies I have ever made. So good, in fact, I may have to challenge my mother in-law to a duel! (No, I take that back. I can't handle the pressure.) I was so happy I practically called everyone I know to tell them. Then I realized people would want to eat my cookies, so I stopped.

So, to my brother. I love you. Thanks for caring enough about my home-maker issues to give me such a thoughtful gift.

Oh, Aubrey and Matt send their thanks as well.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
By Matthew Armstrong

1 stick of butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 C. Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 c. Sugar
2 eggs
2 t. Pure vanilla extract
200 g (1 1/2 cups) Bread Flour
140 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 bag of chocolate chips (i used 3/4 of a bag)

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a bowl, whisk together bread flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Beat together butter, shortening, sugar, and brown sugar in separate bowl for several minutes until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs and vanilla extract to butter/sugar mixture and combine thoroughly.
5. Slowly incorporate flour mixture into wet ingredients, and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
6. Add chocolate chips, incorporating by hand.
7. Using ice cream disher, portion dough out on Silpat Lined cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit on pan until firm enough to remove with your hands. Finish cooling on baking rack.

If any of my lovely readers try this recipe, let me know how it turns out for you!

12 comments:

Matt Armstrong said...

You have absolutely no idea how excited I was that the recipe worked for you. I was just terrified that if it didn't work, you would give up forever.

YAY! *Does the Happy Dance*

And seriously, they really are the best C3 ever.

Unknown said...

YEAH!!!! Good job Megan!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! How exciting. That was so nice of your brother. I am excited to try them.

Melanie said...

I don't know about this... any recipe that gives you the option of measuring out your ingredients in grams makes me a little nervous. Maybe you could just make some for me? :)

Hoenes Family said...

Good for you! Sounds like a pretty intense recipe. What is a Silpat lined cookie sheet? Do I have to have one of those to make the cookies? What is the difference between dark brown sugar and regular brown sugar? If you don't know, that is okay. Just wondering. You can post the answer here on your blog and I will check back.

Hoenes Family said...

P.S. You brother sounds like he is near genious.

Rachel said...

Wow, that's quite the gift and quite the recipe. Maybe someday I'll give it a try, but I still really like the recipe that Dan and I use.

Megan said...

Kali, I used regular brown sugar for this recipe, just because that's what I had on hand. My guess is that a darker brown sugar would give it more of a carmely taste...but it isn't neccessary!

Erica said...

I think I just might need to make these soon :)

whitney said...

Wow. I'm very, VERY impressed with your brother. That is soooome dedication! WooHoo that your cookies turned out so well. Nothing like a little kitchen sucess to make ya feel like Betty Crocker.

Somer said...

Okay, now I have to go make cookies.

Mrs. S said...

This was seriously the funniest post I've read in a long time! Thanks for making me smile!