Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hell and Paradise






My very favorite song from The Avett Brothers (possibly my favorite song of all time ever) is from their new album, and is called Life.  It is just so beautiful.  And most of the time I can't listen to it without crying, or at least getting a little choked up.  Not just a sad cry either...but a joyful cry too.  One of the most poignant lyrics says "Oh, and you and I know all too well, about the hell and paradise right here on earth."  And it is so true.  In my New Year effort to stop complaining so much, and see more beauty in life, I really have started to see more of paradise in my life...and not just all the hell :-)

Aubrey's gorgeous long locks.  The way Charlie toddles all around our house.  The afternoon of skiing Matt and I had to celebrate his 30th birthday.  Laughing when I accidentally dropped one of my ski poles while riding the lift to the top of the mountain.  The snow covered mountains.  Matt and his guitar.  The loving support from our parents, and the sweet relationships our children have with their grandparents.  Good music, good food, good books.  Big snow storms that drive away the filthy January inversion.  Watching Matt rough house with the kids on a day off.

This is paradise.

No comments: