Last night around 3:15 in the morning, I woke up to sounds of Charlie over the monitor. But instead of his usual fussing or crying, they were sweet sounds. He was cooing and giggling. Having some sort of secret conversation with himself, or the ministering angels I believe all babies can see and feel. He had been asleep for a long time, so even though he wasn't insistent, I decided to feed him.
I went into his room, and peaked into the crib, with only the light of the hall bathroom. I was greeted with a big grin and resounding "aaaahhhh". I changed his diaper, and he just stared into my eyes and smiled and laughed. I picked him up and he nuzzled his face into my neck.
He nursed for a while, but this time nursing didn't put him back to sleep. When he was done he smacked his lips and thanked me with a big burp. I wrapped him up in a blanket and sat with him in the rocking chair for a long while. We rocked, and stared into each others eyes. I put my nose in his neck, memorizing his smell. I caressed his face and his head and told him the tender feelings of my mother heart. He listened closely.
When his eyes began to droop, I laid him down in his crib and watched him roll over and drift off to sleep.
That moment brought me nearly enough joy to last a lifetime, and I thanked God for this boy. This boy, who we longed and hoped for. The one we waited so long for. He is here now. And he is a gift.
I went into his room, and peaked into the crib, with only the light of the hall bathroom. I was greeted with a big grin and resounding "aaaahhhh". I changed his diaper, and he just stared into my eyes and smiled and laughed. I picked him up and he nuzzled his face into my neck.
He nursed for a while, but this time nursing didn't put him back to sleep. When he was done he smacked his lips and thanked me with a big burp. I wrapped him up in a blanket and sat with him in the rocking chair for a long while. We rocked, and stared into each others eyes. I put my nose in his neck, memorizing his smell. I caressed his face and his head and told him the tender feelings of my mother heart. He listened closely.
When his eyes began to droop, I laid him down in his crib and watched him roll over and drift off to sleep.
That moment brought me nearly enough joy to last a lifetime, and I thanked God for this boy. This boy, who we longed and hoped for. The one we waited so long for. He is here now. And he is a gift.
2 comments:
Beautiful! Really well written, too. Cherish those awesome mommy moments. Those are the paydays.
I love this post. It's a tender mama moment that I can definitely relate to. I love that sweet baby neck, gummy smiles, and contented burps. I'm so glad you have your charlie :)
Post a Comment