For the past 8 months or so, I have totally been slacking on reading. I used to consider myself an avid reader...but not lately! I tried to pull myself out of the no reading rut. I started a book, and it was slow, so I put it on hold. Then I started another one, but I found I wasn't in the mood for that type of book. Then I started a new one. And before you know it, I was trying to read 3 uninteresting books all at the same time. So then I just gave up.
But! Summer is here. And summer always gets me in the mood for reading. There's just something about sitting on my bed, with the windows open, and a glass of pink lemonade...and a great book. Or sitting in a lounge chair by the pool with a book while Matt and Aubrey splash around. When summer comes, I devour books. I put tons of books on hold at the library, and squeal with delight each time I get an email saying my books are waiting for me.
So I have been putting together my summer reading list, and I thought I would ask some of you, dear friends and readers, for suggestions. What are you excited about reading this summer? Have you read something recently that you just LOVED? Do tell!
Here are a few things that I am looking for in books this summer.
-I want to read something fun. I want to be entertained. I think books that are educational/informative are great...but that's just not what I'm in the mood for this summer. I want to be transported into someone else's world.
-I would like to read something that will inspire me.
-I don't want to read anything super depressing. Life is already hard enough, right? Give me a break from the bleak. Unless it starts out bleak and ends with happiness. I love a good happy ending/triumph over trial.
-Nothing too slow please. If I don't get drawn in within the first 30 pages, chances are I am not going to finish the book.
So this is what my list looks like so far:
-Princess of the Midnight Ball (I actually just finished this. So Cute and a fun/fast read. And the author lives in my ward!)
-Extremely loud and Incredibly Close
-Fablehaven (I at least want to start the series and see how I like it)
-Matched
-Crossed (Matched #2)
-Room
-The Ninth Wife
-Bossypants
-Jane
-Life After
So what are your suggestions? As a note, I have already read Twilight, all the Harry Potter books (about 5 times each), and the Hunger Games books, as well as other popular favorites like The Help, The Book Thief, The Glass Castle, etc.
Let the suggestions begin! I will post my updated list again once I get some feedback.

7 comments:
Is that Jane by April Lindner on the list? 'Cause if so: YOU WILL LOVE IT!
The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (which I believe you have a copy of . . . )
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn (Which I can also loan you!)
I don't know how you feel about fantasy, but War of the Flowers by Tad Williams (which I can also loan you) is very different and fun.
I think you'll really enjoy Fablehaven. It's got that Harry Potterish vibe, and it's got a very strong female leading character.
I'm also super interested to see what you think about Room.
Other than that, I don't think that we'll have a whole lot of books in common in our summer reading list. I'm re-reading the Hunger Games at the moment, then I'm going to dive into the Game of Thrones books.
I LOVE JESSICA DAY GEORGE'S BOOKS!! I feel like you know a movie star! Tell her hi for me. =) You should read her 2nd princess book called Princess of Glass. It's a story about Princess Poppy with a cinderella twist. She has another great series with dragons. Lots of fun!
If you love light and fun reads check out some books by Janette Rallison.
I started a book blog a few months ago. Check it out! Become a follower!! cleanteenfiction.blogspot.com
Let us know which books you read and love this summer.
Try Breaking Night.
I read a review from my sister in law that has been rolling through my head ever since. And I've been dying to check it out. (Don't know why I haven't yet.)
Read this, you'll be intrigued too: http://jacksonparkcity.blogspot.com/2011/05/breaking-night.html
(And her blog is pretty cool too. :)
If you've never read DADDY LONG LEGS by Jean Webster, you NEED to!!! I think you will appreciate the wit and strength of the main character Jerusha. It's a kid's book, but it is easily one of my favorite books EVER. Also, I read AN AMERICAN SUMMER by Frank DeFord. There are a couple of rough spots as far as language and an event... But I LOVED the book. Loved it. It was so poignant. it's "historical fiction" set in the 1950s during the time of the polio scare. Just a coming-of-age type book. There was just something about it that really touched me.
My reading tastes are often short and sweet. I like starting a book and finishing it the same night or the next about 2 a.m. :)
Lately I've been enjoying Josi Kilpack's culinary mystery series..fun, light, a little murder, a lot of mishaps, but I like how they end, and the ride. Divinely Designed was a fun read with enough conflicts to keep it interesting. I don't mind crying while I read, as long as I also laugh, and I feel like things do go right for the characters more of the time. I couldn't keep reading Rachel Nunes books, despite many recommendations because it was trauma & heartbreak that just kept coming. I like Gale Sears Historical novels too, but they aren't lighthearted. I second Katie on The Alchemist. The Introduction alone is amazing.
Princess Bride.
Post a Comment