Friday, October 8, 2010

Soup Season!

I love me some soup.  And all this cloudy, chilly, fall weather we are having means that it's time to start making soup again!  Hooray!  And you guys, I have some seriously good soup recipes.  So I thought I would share some of them here with you all.  I will try to post a new one every week, in correspondence with what I am making for my family.  Here is the first one...which I made for my family last night.  This soup is a little time consuming because there is a lot of chopping involved...but it is so worth it.  Oh, and this soup is delicious as leftovers.

Zuppa Toscana (a la The Olive Garden)
From my 85th ward friend Lauren Davison

1 TBSP olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 lb ground MILD Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 1/2 cups of water
2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
3 large potatoes chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 bunch of kale, roughly chopped
1 cup of heavy whipping cream

Brown the sausage in the oil.  Remove sausage to plate, and add chopped onions to the pan with the sausage drippings and oil.  Saute onion until translucent.  Add garlic, and red pepper flakes.  Saute for one minute.  In a large pot add water, chicken broth, onion mixture, potatoes, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.  Add kale and sausage, simmer until potatoes are at desired tenderness.  Stir in cream.  Heat to simmer.  Serve with dinner rolls.

A few notes:  This soup is on the spicy side, so if your kids are sensitive to heat you can add a little less red pepper flakes.  I always make it with the full amount, and Aubrey has never had a hard time eating it...but to each his own.  Also, I know some people leave out the kale...but I LOVE it and think it adds something really special to the soup, so just give it a try at least once:)  Enjoy!

P.S. I would love some new soup recipes, so if you have one that you look forward to making every fall or winter, will you send it to me?

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Yum! I just added that to my grocery list for next week :) I'm happy it's time for soups again too!

Lauren Davison said...

So so so so so delicious. :) And you did SO much better than I did at simplifying how the recipe is written! BRAVO.

Erica said...

sounds absolutely delicious - and if it's from the olive garden it has to be good. a friend of mine just made their pasta fagoli recipe and it was super yummy! i'll have to post it for you in case you don't have it! i'm all about the soup recipes too - i love this time of year. my freezer is already getting stocked with tons of different jars of soups, and breads, and all that yummy food that comes with this time of year!

Jill said...

Love me some soup weather! It's definitely my fav!!

whitney said...

I swear, I'm the soup queen! My kids don't like soup much, though...too bad, no dinner for them ;)

This recipe sounds fab, I'm definitely going to be trying it out.

Nilla said...

I love soups too! And since you asked for recipes... This is one of my favorites. And I love it even more because it's crock pot. And even more because it's so easy!

Chicken Taco Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 can chili beans
1 can black beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 to 1.5 cups chicken broth
2 10-oz cans Rotel
1 pkg taco seasoning
3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
shreeded cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
tortilla chips (optional)

Place first 7 ingredients into crock pot. Add taco seasoning and stir to mix. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook 5 hours.

Remove chicken breasts from the soup, allow to cool long enough to be handled, and shred. Stir shredded chicken back into the soup and continue cooking 2 hours. Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips if desired.

Recipe from allrecipes.com

Mrs. S said...

Potato-Leek Soup

3-4 leeks (chop off the dark green leaves, rinse thoroughly to remove dirt)
4 stalks of celery--chopped
3 TBSP unsalted butter
Heavy pinch of salt
14 oz of Yukon gold potatoes chopped/diced (3 small potatoes)
1 quart can of chicken or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt to taste
½ teaspoon white pepper to taste

Chop the leeks into small pieces. In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, chopped celery and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and puree the mixture until smooth. In a medium saucepan melt butter and add flour. Stir until thick and bubbly. Stir 1 minute over heat. Add milk slowly and stir over heat until it thickens slightly. Add roux mixture to soup and stir until well combined. Add pepper and salt to taste. Sprinkle with chives if desired and serve immediately.