Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dream


You know, there are a lot of things said about "Motherhood".  Heaven knows I've said it all.  How hard it is, how tiring it is, how the work never ends.  But maybe one thing that isn't said (or felt) enough, is just how fun it is.  But I have been feeling it lately.  Boy have I.

For a few weeks I was in a real "funk".  For whatever reason I was just feeling like the world was conspiring against me.  Our car broke down, then our washing machine flooded our laundry room, our brand new lap-top (still in the box) was stolen from our car before we even got it home from Best Buy, the car that was broken into had to be repaired, and the week ended with the monthly reminder that I am still not pregnant.  Nope, just chubby.  Most of all, I just felt like an isolated stay at home mom without a life, or any dreams to speak of.

Matt, being the kind man that he is, helped me get out of my funk.  Helped me remember just how blessed I am as a woman, and how collectively blessed we are as a family.  I swear he has a sixth sense.  A "my wife is starting to spiral into a black hole of self-pity" sense.  That's when he swoops in and saves the day, so to speak.  Thank goodness.

So, you could say that I started the weekend with fresh eyes.  And that is when the fun began.  We laughed and played with Aubrey.  We watched (really watched) her, and marveled at all that she does and understands.  We visited Ikea for meatballs and chocolate cake.  We had dear friends over for dinner, we visited family, we kept Aubrey up SO late because she was just so happy and "Who cares about bedtime!"

And so the week has carried on with fun.  Fun in the little things.  Like sidewalk chalk, and library books, and playing ring around the rosie.  Fun like doing a blanket toss every night after dinner, or watching Aubrey feed herself applesauce, or giggle at something silly Daddy does.

And, more than once the spirit has born witness to me that my dreams are coming true.  Maybe not the fancy dreams I dream for myself when it's been a long day and I can't go to sleep.  But the real dream.  That dream deep down in my soul...the substance.  This sacred little home, and this precious little family.  The slobbery kisses, the dinner time giggles, and the loving embrace of my soul mate.  That dream is appointed.

And it's coming true.

10 comments:

Kika VilaNova said...

oh it WILL come true! I am cheering for you :)
hugs!

Mrs. S said...

I don't think anyone could blame you for being in a funk after all that stuff! I got depressed just reading it all. You truly do have a beautiful family.

Erica said...

Oh Megan!

Hoenes Family said...

It's all about joy in the little things. Thanks for the reminder.

Mama Baer | 1.2.3.4.5 said...

Oh Meagan, I loved your post... mostly because I too have been in a funk feeling myself get deeper and deeper in a pool of self pity. Sometimes when everything just seems to be going against us it's so hard to see the good things that are happening, the blessings and the dreams like you said that are coming true.
I'm glad you're feeling better, and here's to more happy days and little dreams coming true and less funk
(did you watch Glee this week?! It was all about funk! :o)

Melanie said...

What a horribly no good week or two! That sounds like a well deserved funk, but I'm so glad you're emerging from it!

Ashley said...

Sadly I was feeling the same way all week last week... still trying to adjust to being home with a baby all day... but when you look at all the little blessings, and happy things, it's hard to imagine life any other way!!

I stopped by your house yesterday when we were on a walk because I was thinking it was Thursday for some reason, but you were probably out picking up Aubrey from school. Let's get together again soon!

The Adventurous Spencer said...

Yay! you're funkless. It's so hard to pull yourself out of those, thank goodness for great hubs who know what to do! We'll have to get together with the sidewalk chalk and let the kiddos play. Let me know when!

It's Miller Time said...

So sweet, I completely relate.

Carolyn said...

I cannot believe you've had to go through all of that! I have a pit in my stomach just reading about it. I'm glad you have someone there for you to help save the day. You do such a good job at looking at the positive!