While eating dinner last night we could tell that Aubrey wasn't feeling well even though she wasn't showing any symptoms of being sick. So we gave her a dose of Tylenol and put her to bed. Around 10:30 she woke up. I went into her room to help her go back to sleep, and I noticed that she was really restless and fidgety. So I laid down with her and started singing some songs. Then she started shaking uncontrollably. Just for a few seconds...and then she stopped. I waited and she did it again. So I turned on the light and watched her do it again and again and again. I yelled for Matt who was in the bathtub, and he came in. We couldn't figure out what she was doing. Was is seizures? Convulsions? We were scared. Matt gave Aubrey a blessing, I grabbed her blanket and her medical file, then we left for the hospital.
As Matt was getting Aubrey strapped in her car seat he yelled for me to hurry and sit next to her. When I got in the car she was shaking so bad...her whole body. I started crying and praying, and Matt was driving like a maniac. We were both so scared.
As soon as we got to the hospital she stopped shaking. They took her in immediately and checked her out. She had a slight fever...barely 100. They put us in a room to wait for the doctor. 10-15 minutes later a nurse came in and checked her temp, and in that short amount of time her fever went all the way up to 103. She was on fire. They gave her a dose of Motrin, but her fever held steady at 103 for over an hour. When the doctor FINALLY got to us and checked her out he felt that the seizures were a result of her very rapid and raging fever. Apparently it isn't uncommon for children to convulse when they are hit with a sudden fever. He was concerned about what is causing the fever...especially since she still had no other symptoms. A strep test came back negative, and he said it could be a UTI or kidney infection, but because she is not potty trained the only way to test her urine would be to catheterize her. At that point it was 2:30 am and Aubrey was so tired and miserable and we didn't want to put her through that so we decided to give it some time and see what happened the next day.
This morning her fever was still raging at 102 and she had more convulsions while waiting for her Tylenol to kick in. She is not making any improvement, and is still not showing any other symptoms, so my guess is that we will be at instacare this evening so they can get a urine sample. Poor Aubrey.
I wrote this mostly so that I could remember the details of everything that happened last night for future reference. But in recollecting the events of last night I have also remembered those terrified feelings, and desperate prayers. While I am thankful that it turned out not to be as serious as it could have, I sincerely hope that we never have to experience that kind of consuming fear again. I have a new found respect and appreciation for those parents whose children are medically fragile, and all the heart racing and frantic feelings that must come along with caring for them.
More updates to come later.
19 comments:
I am so sorry to hear that! Nothing is worse than being scared that something is wrong with your baby. I'm glad it wasn't anything SUPER bad.
Marley just had had catheter put in about a month ago to test her urine. (at her pediatricians office) It really wasn't that bad. She didn't cry as much as I thought she would....and they were really really fast.
She too had had super high fevers (103-104) for 3 days straight with no other symptoms....no seizing though....and it did end up that she had a bladder infection. Poor dear...those things are horrible!
Good luck and I'll be watching for an update!
That is so scary. Poor Aubrey. That most be so frightening to watch your child go through that as a parent. I hope you/ the doctors can find out what's wrong. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Scary! I'll be praying that she gets better soon and that the doctors can figure out what is going on.
I am so sorry, seizures are scary! When I was little I had chronic kidney infections and because of my medical history it is one of the things my girls get checked for when they have a fever. The cath isn't too bad. They can also try a collection bag, so ask to try that first if you are nervous. The bad thing about UTIs is that they can turn really bad quickly if untreated.
I know I already commented on your facebook page, but I am truly sorry you are dealing with such terrifying things. I can in a sense relate to those vulnerable feelings you were talking about. It is not pleasant. I hope things get better soon.
Hey Sis,
Give Aubrey a hug from me. I know there's not a lot I can do from here, but you're in my prayers. Let me know how things go.
Love you guys.
How terrible! I think I would go to pieces if that happened to our girls. I hope they get things figured out soon for you guys so things can return to normal!
I'm so sorry! I hope that she feels better soon. Poor thing :(
oh megan, i am so sorry that you guys and aubrey had to go through that. i can't imagine the fear you were going through. i'm so sorry and hope that they figure something out. you're in my prayers.
That really is horrible. So so scary. REally hope they can find what's causing the fever!
Oh man, my heart goes out to you guys. I got a little teary reading this and thinking of Aubrey, and you guys not knowing what's going on. It is the hardest thing watching your child suffer in any way, I can't imagine how you were feeling. Let me know if I can help in any way. We'll be praying for you and for Aubs. Love you!
How awful, awful. I'm so sorry. We will keep Aubrey in our prayers and hope this passes quickly. When I worked in the hospital years back, that was always the toughest thing for me to watch- seizing...cause you feel so terribly helpless but yet you can't take your eyes away and you just have to watch and wait for it to be done. I hope that never happens to her or you again!
My mom saw my brother have a full-blown seizure once when they were eating out shortly after he had recovered from cancer. She still says it was the scariest thing she's ever seen. So I can totally understand how shaken up your nerves must be. I hope you all recover well from this and figure out the cause.
Megan, that sucks! My heart is so tight thinking about the dispair you guys went/are going through. Olivia has a little cold and I already feel so powerless...
About the fever and convulsion, it happened to my friend's boy about a year ago when he was 2, seems that the doctor told her that 1 in every 6 children will have a fever related convulsion by the time they are 4 years old, SCARY! I am so sorry that Aubrey is one of those children.. poor thing!
We are praying for her and you and Matt!
hugs :)
Megan, what a terrifying experience. It's good to know they don't think it's anything too serious, but still so scary for you. I hope you get some *good* answers soon, and that Aubrey is feeling better.
So scary! We are praying for you guys!
Meg, I am so sorry to hear about this. I have friend whose little boy experienced the same thing when he'd get fevers. Luckily he out-grew them. I can't even imagine how scary this must be for you. We hope everything is okay and that Aubrey gets feeling better soon!
-Ann
hope all is well.
I can't even imagine how scary that would have been! I'm so sorry and hope you never have to experience this ever again! love you guys!
Post a Comment