Monday, December 7, 2009

Paying It Forward

Once upon a time (ok, it was a few weeks ago), we took Aubrey to kiddie kandids to get her pictures taken. We had an awful experience and didn't get any pictures. I wrote about it briefly here on my blog. After that we just decided that taking pictures at home would have to be good enough.

About a week or so after I wrote that post I received a comment on my blog from someone I didn't know (by the way, I love it when readers reveal themselves). She said...

"Megan,
I was reading my friend Anna's blog (Kika's friend) and came across your blog. I read your post from Nov. 12 where you mention that you wanted nice pics of your family but you couldn't get any so you were sad about that. This is gonna sound weird since you don't know me at all, but I wanted to volunteer and take pictures for you. Granted I'm no professional, I just love to take pictures as a hobby. I have been blessed with lots of people around me who provide service and I want to pay it forward."

Wow. I can't even tell you how happy it made me when I read that comment! A perfect stranger who had read my post about a bad picture taking experience, offering to go out of her way and provide this service for us from the kindness of her heart. Things like that just don't happen every day! I took it as a sign...and I knew immediately that I would take her up on her offer.

So after exchanging several emails we met our new friend Paty this Saturday, and she took our family pictures. It was a ridiculously cold day (approximately 19 degrees while we were getting our pictures taken), and it was snowing/windy! Paty deserves a medal just for taking pictures in those conditions, alone!

In the days leading up to our appointment I started getting a little anxious...what if it's too cold, what if Aubrey cries the whole time, what if we don't get any good pictures and Paty feels bad...etc. But I just kept telling myself that this was supposed to happen, and that it would be a blessing to us.

I was right.

Despite the wind and snow and freezing temperatures, we got some beautiful family pictures! Not just one, but several! Was it cold? Absolutely. But it all worked out in the end...just like I knew it would.

So, thank you to Paty for being brave enough to "pay it forward". Now it's my turn.

***I will post more pictures eventually

9 comments:

Kika VilaNova said...

that is such a great story!! I am so glad that Patricia was able to meet you and take some pictures! I can't wait to see more :)
hugs

Mama Baer | 1.2.3.4.5 said...

megan, I'm so glad you liked the pictures. paty really is extremely talented! it's wonderful to know that out there there are people willing to step out of their comfort zone to do nice things for each other. that's why I love patty. i'm glad she found you and that you are now friends. :o)
i'm excited to see the other pictures!

Melanie said...

That is wonderful! I was just saying to Jason the other day how your candid blog touches so many people, and one day it would pay off. And I was right! The picture you posted is great- can't wait to see more!

Hoenes Family said...

Megora! I LOVE that family pic. I can't wait to see more. That is so wonderful that a stranger would offer to render you a service, and also a great thing that you took her up on it! What a cute family you guys are.

Hoenes Family said...

P.S. Did Paty say that she was no professional? I think she needs to retract that statement.

Ashley said...

Wow! That is an awesome story. I love generous people. It really makes you want to turn around and pay it forward to someone else in return. I can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

Mrs. S said...

I love your family picture! You look so beautiful, as does the rest of your little family. I'm so glad you were able to receive such a great service. It's such an eye-opener to how we can all do better to serve those around us without wanting something in return!

Katherine Ronachert said...

i love the pic of you guys and aubs standing.

Chiara said...

That just gave me the chills. Thanks for posting!