Friday, September 11, 2009

A Rant on Ignorance-Updated

I just got back from the doctors office where I had to have a quick blood test. What an experience.

Since I knew it wouldn't take long I just decided to take Aubrey with me rather than leave her with someone. We went back to the lab and waited for our turn. The waiting room was small, and there were a few other people there, also waiting. Aubrey was walking around a little, exploring the new place she was in. Finally she sat down and started emptying my purse. She was being good and quiet.

The nurse/lab technician who was sitting behind the desk, looks at Aubrey, looks at me, and asks (in front of everyone in the tiny waiting room)...

"Is your daughter a little bit autistic?"

Uuummmm, what?

I looked at her for a second and said "no". I didn't expound.

Then she says "Oh, 'cuz she kinda reminds me of my niece that is autistic."

Again, I was so stunned that I could hardly respond. I think I said "Well, she has some challenges but she is not autistic." I had my blood drawn, and we left. I cried all the way home.

First of all, I don't know you and you don't know me. What business do you have asking me about my child's abilities or lack there of, especially in front of an entire waiting room of strangers who can hear our conversation? She wasn't doing anything to anyone. All she did was walk around and smile at people then sit down on the floor to play.

Secondly, how is it supposed to make me feel as a mother when you compare my child to your autistic niece? Especially after I already told you that she does not have autism. Oh, that is just great. Thank you for making me feel so wonderful about my child's challenges.

Thirdly, don't ask that sort of question in front of my child. You may think she is stupid when you look at her, but she is a lot smarter than people give her credit for. She may not be able to talk but she understands SO much of what people say. And maybe she doesn't know what the word Autistic means right now, but that doesn't mean that it is right to call out her challenges in front of her face just because she looks and acts different then other kids. She doesn't deserve that.

And lastly, wouldn't a trained medical professional know better than to characterize every child with special needs as "autistic"? There are many children with autism, and the numbers are rising all of the time...but to spend less than five minutes observing a child like Aubrey and immediately characterizing her as "a little bit autistic" shows nothing but ignorance and stereotyping.

It is hard enough to deal with the fact that my child has mental and physical disabilities. It is damn hard, let me tell you. She can't talk and makes funny noises. She whines all day long because she doesn't know what else to do. She is wobbly on her feet and has to wear braces. She drools, and she pets peoples faces as if they were all puppies. She doesn't play with other kids much because they are all afraid of her. She will go to special ed. and ride the short bus. It's hard, ok? And I don't need stupid people saying rude and ignorant things to me and my child.

We've got enough on our plate right now as it is.

UPDATE*

I just recieved a comment of my facebook page from a friend who said "autism isn't a swear word", and that made me feel like I needed to clarify my post. What upset me the most about this situation was not neccessarily the fact that the woman asked me if Aubrey was autistic and said that she reminded her of an autistic niece. What botherd me was that she brought it up in the first place. I know that Aubrey is different and I am not trying to hide that from people, because I love Aubrey just the way she is. I just wish that when people looked at Aubrey for the first time they would notice something besides her weaknesses. It's not fair for her to be pointed out like that from a stranger. Aubrey is a person just like you and me, and she deserves respect. As a social worker I was taught that I shoud be non-judemental and have unconditional positive regard for everyone no matter if they are old, young, skinny, fat, white, black, catholic, jewish, typically developing or non-typically developing, etc. Autism is not a swear word. I have two nephews who was on the autism spectrum, and I know that they are magnificent children and I love them very much. But no one deserves to have their inabilties or weaknesses or differences thrown at them. If you think I am way off base with this then please comment and let me know.

14 comments:

Eliza said...

Dude. I was really hoping for a "just kidding, people can't really be that horribly ignorant, insensitive, unprofessional, and rude" at the end of the story even though I knew it wasn't coming.

I'm sorry that she was so crap-tastic. The thing that boils my blood the most is that she asked it in front of Aubrey. Like you said, she doesn't know what autistic means right now but every single individual has personal rights and should be treated with respect no matter if they are old or young challenged or not.

This woman wouldn't go up to a fat person and say, "Are you a little bit obese? Oh, 'cuz you kinda remind me of my cousin who is morbidly obese". Well, maybe SHE would...

I really am sorry you had to deal with that woman. I'm sure Aubrey melted the hearts of everyone in that waiting room. I've never personally met Aubrey but I can tell through your blog, stories, and pictures that cheering the heart and putting a smile on another's face is one of Aubrey's many gifts.

{{{HUGS}}} Hope you have a fun weekend!

Kika VilaNova said...

that totally SUCKS with caps letters! As I was reading your post, i recognized your anger and pain. I go through similar experiences frequently because I am not American. You wouldn't believe the things I hear sometimes... but at least I am an adult and can chose to defend myself and "fight back"... Aubrey is a child, an INNOCENT child and does NOT deserve that people even look at her to "evaluate" her like that.

Why can't they see the beauty and sweetness in her? idiots!!

that lady lives a miserable life with no friends cuz i bet she goes around saying whatever she thinks and who wants to be friends with a weirdo like that????

*hugs* i hope you won't go through anything like that ever again!

Ashley said...

I can understand what you are saying, and I'm sorry that happened to you today. Try not to let it bother you too much... some people just never learned tact or manners growing up.

I think Aubrey is beautiful!

WRYUN said...

Man, what a day!!! I can't believe someone would think that's alright to say. Personally, I look at Aubrey and I see her gorgeous curls, eyes, and huge smile, and it makes my day every time. Everyone has challenges no matter if they show or not. But to be so completely ignorant is way out of line. Hope you're feeling better....

p.s. let me know what's up with the blood test...

Kathryn Cooper said...

I'm with you. I would have been upset about that comment as well. Mostly because it sounded kinda thrown out their and impersonal. I am actually really interested in observing children with autism because I studied about it in college while getting an Early Childhood Education degree. I'm always curious what the diagnosis is and why and what the treatments are. But she should have approached you differently: 1 on 1 and not accusing. (ps- most people should just keep their mouths shut)

The Domina's said...

Megan! I cannot believe what you went through, I'm seriously fired up right now. Ignorant people have no idea and should just keep their mouths shut. I don't know how you kept from comfronting that girl and giving her a piece of your mind. You are so great, Megan and Aubrey is extremely lucky to have you as a Mom.

Karen said...

When I read this post the thought that kept occurring to me was: Wow, so many people don't really understand children with special needs. Or maybe we have a large percentage of people in society who don't know how to respond/relate to people with differences from the norm. Maybe that woman had noticed other positive aspects about Aubrey (like how cute she is, how playful) but instead she decided to fixate on the wrong thing. Maybe that woman is just one example of how more understanding is needed.

(And of course she has no right to say such things out loud in a room full of people.)

I know it isn't exactly the same but when I grew up I had a Mom who was in a wheelchair yet perfectly capable of all daily tasks and perfectly happy. But when I met other people it was usually the first thing that anyone wanted to ask me about. Why is your Mom in a wheelchair? What's it like for her? Can she still drive/cook/clean/etc? It was SO frustrating to me because I just saw her as my Mom and not as someone in a wheelchair... Also, it was frustrating always having to explain these things. (Even when people didn't ask- I could tell what they were thinking and it would later come up.)

It wasn't until years later that I began to accept the fact people were generally curious and would always be curious. So sometimes I would just go ahead and answer everything right away, or let people ask me those same stupid questions. This way the confusion was cleared up right away and people had the chance to know more about people who live their life in a wheelchair. That doesn't mean it was easy or this is the right thing to do in the situation or that your situation is even the same. But your story reminded me of it. Because I have a feeling you might be faced with similar people in the future.

Take care. All the best.

Hoenes Family said...

EWWWWW!!!! I AM SO ANNOYED RIGHT NOW! Why do people think they need to know everything! That is NONE of her business, nor should she ask to have it be her business. Why? Seriously, why do people have to be so nosy? Reading your story, really hit a sore spot with me. This is something I have always been irritated with is stupid nosy STRANGERS. People that know NOTHING about you and your situation, and don't NEED to know! ERRR! Okay, sorry, I am probably just fueling the fire, but I want you to know that I am on your side 100 percent.

By they way, coming from a person who has never even met Aubrey, yet, knows her situation. The first thing I notice about her is how absolutely beautiful that girl is. Pure 100 percent beautiful. That is all. Even if I had met her face to face, that is still the first thing I would have noticed. Growing up with Jerry, has opened my eyes to the world of disabilities.

Love your guts Megora.

It's Miller Time said...

I'm sure this was not the first time something like this has happened and unfortunately it probably won't be the last. Aubrey is a lucky little girl to have such a strong, passionate, mother in her corner.

whitney said...

oh. my. heck. I can't even believe that there are such insensitive people in the world...well, actually, I can believe it, but I sure which it wasn't the case. I'm so, so sorry Megan.

Aubrey is so beautiful and she has such a sweet, brightly shining spirit. Every time I read your blog I come away thinking that. I also come away thinking she's so darn lucky to have such a loving, understanding, and passionate woman for a mother. (((hugs)))

Ali said...

So this is the post where I reveal myself...I don't know where I found your blog originally (a friend of a friend of a friend I presume?!) But I started reading it a little over a year ago cause I thought you were an entertaining writer with some fun ideas and a cute family, and your unique situation with Aubrey always intrigued me as well. And then I got pregnant and last January had my son...the day we took him home from the hospital we found out he had a congenital heart defect and at six weeks old he needed open heart surgery and then another two weeks later cause he wasn't healing. I know our situations are much different, but throughout this whole journey I've drawn some parallels and have found therapy for myself through some of your posts. This one in particular makes me angry right along with you. No Mother wants their child singled out for their weakness. I remember a few times before my son's surgeries (we were going to different doctor's at least once a week if not two or three times), and there were two situations in particular where the staff offended me in ways that I would just keep it together until I got in the car and then I'd break down just like you said...(and then I'd call my Mom). They singled me out, they made me feel like the most odd and unique situation in the world...one tech asked me in all ignorance (and I hope I misunderstood her) if I knew I was pregnant with him in the beginning... (and I took it as if maybe I had done something harmful to my body and to him to cause this defect?!) and I just cried right then and there but somehow hid my tears from her...OF COURSE I knew I was pregnant...there was nothing I wanted more than a child (we had tried for almost two years)

Anyway, I know I'm a complete stranger to you and I feel like I've just thrown my whole story at you, but I wanted to comment and say-

I agree, people just aren't careful with their words and need to learn to think before they speak and be a little more compassionate...I'm sorry you were a victim of their curiosity and carelessness.

and I wanted to thank you for your honesty in words, in your journey, in your story.

Now that I've revealed myself- if you send me an email address to Gracie_333@yahoo.com, I can send you an invite to our private blog so I'm no longer a stranger to you...

Ali

Nat said...

So, I have to admit that a lot of swear words and ill-will went toward this woman as I read your post. What a horrible, horrible person! (Sorry, I am not as nice as some other commentors) There is really nothing I can say to make this better - just that I agree that this completely sucks. I have had some horrible things said to me because I am only half American, and I have definitely given back my share of nasty retorts. I can't imagine watching my child go through something like that the way you do with Aubrey each and every day.

One day people won't be so horribly stupid. . .or at least that is my hope.

Rachel said...

I'm sorry Meg, that lady really is lame. I like Eliza's comparison the best. There really are a lot of nosy, stupid strangers out there. Why would someone ever just generalize any person like that after such a short time. I hope you don't have to deal with too many ignorant people like her in the future.

Mrs. S said...

I don't have a ton of time, but to sum up my opinion, that lady was an inconsiderate idiot. She's probably friends with the people who ask women who have gained a bit of weight if they are pregnant....