Thursday, September 3, 2009

Evolution

As a teenager, I can remember hearing my dad say "I love your mother more now than I ever have before" (or something along those lines) when they were celebrating an anniversary. In my youthful state I couldn't understand how such a thing could be. My parents were always loving and affectionate. Not to say that everything was roses and gumdrops, but one thing that I never questioned in all my life was their devotion to one another. Surely they couldn't love each other more than they did the day they were married. I mean, weren't they a little sick of each other yet? Could love really grow and change over time?

I am here to tell you that it can.

In preparation for our big hike next month Matt and I left Aubrey with her grandparents today and set off for a late afternoon hike in the mountains. We talked and talked and talked. We laughed and explored. Matt helped me find a hidden place to pee, and when I held onto him to avoid getting anything on my shorts he only laughed a little. Ok, he laughed a lot, but quickly reassured me that he still loved me.

We talked about what we would do if we suddenly became wildly rich, and agreed on nearly everything. He held my hand to help me up big rocks, and kissed me in that sweet sort of way you kiss someone for the first time. And unfortunately our ideas of getting frisky in the wilderness were thwarted by some unsuspecting hikers. (Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. There's just something about a man with a beard in nature, Ok?)

After our hike we stopped at Pistol Pete's for fish tacos. We sat on the patio with the evening sun shining in the west and country music playing in the background. And I understood what my Dad meant.

Because I loved Matt the day we got married...but not nearly as much as I do today, five years later, or as much as I will five years from now. It isn't all roses and chocolates and love songs. But love evolves. And if you do it right, it just gets sweeter with time.

9 comments:

Chiara said...

That was just the most dear, sweet, wonderful thing I've ever read. Way to start off my day! Thank you! Maybe Bill and I need to go hiking!! ;)-

Eliza said...

Sorry about the unsuspecting hikers thwarting the nature moment :) Very sweet post, Matt is one lucky man.

Hoenes Family said...

Loved this post. I would have to agree with you. What a great story. Getting frisky in the woods! You crack me right up. I know you weren't joking :)

Lauren Davison said...

Dumb hikers. This was so fun to read. Thank you! Amen, amen, and amen is all I have left to say! :)

Ashley said...

That was so sweet, thanks for sharing. I'm like tearing up over here :)

Mrs. S said...

I loved this post too! It was so nice to read, and I have to say that I agree!

Rachel said...

It's definitely true, after you spend time together and share your experiences, your love definitely grows. You guys are such a good couple.

WRYUN said...

Awwwwwwww, seems I have a lot to learn from you. I guess exercise can pay off if you're in the right place at the right time....Great post though, I agree, it isn't all roses, etc. But if you can get through the tough times together, you come out happier and more in love...

Kika VilaNova said...

ah you are such a good writer! And you are so right on! the beard, the sweet kiss, the way love evolves! such a good feeling! you two are so cute :)