Monday, September 28, 2009

In Between

(an old photo, but so so delicious)

We're kind of in an awkward phase with Aubrey these days. You see, so much has changed since this little girl started walking. She is more independent, curious, feisty, and confident. But there are still some things that she isn't good at. For instance, paying attention to where she is going. Walking is all about exploration for Aubrey right now. She just wants to get from one interesting thing to another, without paying too much attention to the path she takes. And even though she is more and more steady on her feet everyday, she still needs a close eye on her.

It's hard because even though Aubrey is 2 and a half, her overall developmental age is right around 12 months. What makes it even more challenging is the fact that Aubrey is big for her age, so she looks like she is about 3.

I'm having trouble making decisions like having her sit at the table in a booster seat rather than her high chair (which she is outgrowing), even though she still hasn't figured out how to feed herself with a spoon. Or switching her from her crib , which she has pulled herself out of a few times (with very scary landings), and into a toddler bed even though she still rolls around like crazy while she sleeps. What about picking out clothes to wear for pictures, knowing they will be soaked with drool five minutes after she gets them on. And really, when will potty training even be an option?

This is all very tricky...figuring out how to teach Aubrey more age appropriate behavior when she still has so much to figure out. We are so thankful that she is walking, and has gained so much Independence. But is had also made us eager to move on to the next stage. She is a toddler now, and we want to start treating her like one. We have to walk a fine line between pushing her to try harder and do new things, while still respecting the fact that she has a long way to go developmentally before she will be caught up with her peers. We want to challenge her, but we also don't want her to feel too much pressure.

Sometimes I can't believe that I'm the mom. I'm expected to figure this all out? When did that happen?

4 comments:

Chiara said...

I love reading your posts. You are a fantabulous person! (that is a mix between fantastic and fabulous incase you didn't know!)

WRYUN said...

Such a freakin cute pic!!! Love it. I think the hardest part of raising kids is knowing how hard to push them to learn new things no matter their developmental status. I always expect Spencer to know how to do things and where to go, when in reality he doesn't have a clue. Eventually she'll get there and you'll be cheering right alongside.

Somer said...

I think you're doing great! Sometime I'll have to show you the great little booster we got (it has a buckle.) And I would suggest a toddler bed with side rails. And well the drooling, when you figure that out, please let me know. Today Maisy was shivering because her second shirt of the day was soaked.

whitney said...

You're such a good mom, megan. You just always seem to keep Aubrey's best interest in mind...which can sometimes be really hard to do (or is that just me? ;). Good luck figuring things out during this exciting new *walking* chapter of Aubrey's life!