Monday, April 27, 2009

The Parental Spring Break

(Photo: Spring 2006)

Despite the fact that Matt and I aren't leaving for our weekend getaway until Friday morning, I am already on vacation. In my mind, that is.

Matt and I have taken this same vacation every spring since we've been married. Southern Utah...the place to be when the finicky spring weather tempts us, and leaves us begging for warmth and sunshine.

The first time we were both still college students and VERY poor. We camped one night, and spent the other night in a hotel that charged $35 dollars a night! The next year we upgraded to one night in a bed & breakfast (we had been given a gift card there as a wedding present), and one night in a slightly more expensive motel. The next year Aubrey was a newborn so we didn't go. Last year was our first ever trip away from Aubrey (she was about 13 months old), and we really went all out- staying at a nice hotel, and participating in every possible activity we could fit into the tight schedule we had. As first time parents we were desperate for a bit of free time together, and we crammed as much entertainment as we could into those 2 days. But alas, we missed her so much that the majority of the time I was either on the phone with my mom making sure all was well at home, or thinking about Aubrey.

I think this year is going to be a little different. Aubrey's routine is much more predictable now, she is even more comfortable with my parents now, and let's be honest...I'm a bit more desperate now! Mostly, I've grown enough as a mother over the last year to be able to say "she'll be fine", where last year I was still in freak out mode.

I am so excited that even the planning and preparations have been fun. Where will we eat, what will I wear, what will the weather be like (I check twice a day), where will we hike, etc. I'm sure that if I were a less reasonable person my bag would already be packed. I will most definitely miss my baby, but like I said...she'll be fine. And better off for having parents who are a bit more relaxed.

(Side note: If you click on the picture you will notice how young we looked back then! Matt had more hair and I had less chins!)

5 comments:

Eliza said...

... I totally laughed out loud when you said, "Mostly, I've grown enough as a mother over the last year to be able to say 'she'll be fine', where last year I was still in freak out mode"... I was EXACTLY the same way--freak out mode--the first time we left Peter.

Now I only wish we had the ability to take a child free vacation but all relatives live about 1,800 miles away and a certain 4 month old needs the boob. One day... but for now I'll just live vicariously through you guys. :-D

Erica said...

Too fun! I hope you go and have a blast just you and your man. What a fun tradition to have!

Melanie said...

I love that picture! You both look so refreshed and well rested! I always laugh at old pictures when I realize we are getting old- just the other day I told Jason his eyebrows had gotten bigger than in a picture from 2004! More hair, just not in the right places! Have a wonderful trip!

Ashley said...

I"m glad you guys get to have a fun break this weekend. You totally deserve it!!!

We missed you at games last night, we'll have to plan another get together soon.

Helena said...

I'm so jealous!! Nice to have family around. I'm definitely ready to leave the boy. Maybe its because they're 2 now, not "terrible", but more independent.
Have a great trip, it's the perfect time to go.