Despite all the awesomeness that has been going on around here, I just haven't been able to bring myself to blog the past few days. I think the reason is because I am so excited and happy about all of Aubrey's progress, that I don't really know how to write about it. How can I put into words how proud I feel, or how thankful I am, or how much hope I have for the future?
I guess I'll just tell the story of Bree's first steps. It happened on Tuesday when Julie the (blessed) physical therapist was here. After warming up, I was showing her how Aubrey has started learning to balance while standing up. She was so impressed, and said "Megan, she's ready." So we played a few games like Head Shoulders Knees and Toes to get Aubrey ready to balance. Then Julie had me sit on the couch. She took Bree a few feet away, stood behind her and put her hands under her elbows (just barely touching). I reached out for Aubrey and said "Come get mommy! Come get me!" Then Julie gently pushed her elbows one direction and the other so Aubrey get the hang of shifting her weight.
And just like that, she took 3 steps right to me!
I was so stunned when it happened that it took me a second to react. I looked at Julie and said "Oh my gosh...Aubrey just took her first steps didn't she!?" Julie and I jumped up and down and gave Aubrey so many kisses. Then we did it again and again and again, until Aubrey was so tired she laid down on the floor, rolled onto her side, and sucked on her fingers like she was going to take a little nap right there and then.
After she rested for a bit we got out the walker and started practicing with it. We shoved her little baby doll between the bars and said the baby wanted to go for a ride. Aubrey pushed the walker (with help) all the way from the stairs to the kitchen. It was such a high experience that I think we're still recovering!
Since then we've been doing a lot of practicing, but with all new things...Aubrey is nervous. Her low muscle tone makes activities like this so hard. She would always prefer to do something easier like crawl or let mom and dad carry her. But when she is ready, she'll get there. That's how it has been with everything. I know she'll get there. She is so close, but we can't force it.
The other day I was just thinking about how hard it is to remember what life was like before Aubrey could crawl. And now she is unstoppable. Watching her take those first steps helps me know that some day we won't be able to remember what life was like before she could walk.
I want to thank all of my sweet friends who commented on my last post. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that we have friends out there who are rooting for Aubrey just as much as we are. This blog really has become the place where I share the good and the bad of my motherhood experience, and the triumph and struggles that come with raising a child like Aubrey. I just really appreciate the people out there who care enough to cheer us on.
*blowing kisses*
10 comments:
I got the goosebumps while reading Aubrey's first steps story. You've got such an incredible little girl and you're such an amazing mother yourself.
We're definitely cheering you on here back in Georgia!
Congratulations! What an unexpressable joy you must feel watching your sweet little girl venture into such a new and important stage. I'm excited to see pics and video of her skill :)
such a great story. thanks for sharing it with us :)
(and congratulations, bree!)
I am so excited for you and Aubrey. I have been checking your blog nonstop to hear details of the first steps. That is amazing!
How exciting! Great job Aubrey! That must bring you so much joy and hope. She'll take off running next. Then you won't be able to remember when she only crawled.
Yay, I am so excited for all three of you! Go Aubrey. I love the comment you made, Meg, about Aubrey wanted to do easier things, like crawling. Doesn't it feel good to say that crawling is one of the easy things for her? I remember when that was even tough. It won't be long before she is non-stop running!!
That is an amazing story- I'm so proud of her! Aubrey is getting so big and so independent! I love the thought of her taking her baby for a ride- so cute! Congratulations, Aubs!!!!! And you too, Megan and Matt- you guys are the best cheerleaders a girl could get!
Thank you for sharing! And congratulations to you all! I know that parents have such a big role in a child's development, so it is as much of a compliment to you as it is to her.
Thanks so much for writing it out. I can't till we come visit in June. She'll be all over the place by then.
I always thought she had a little mischeviousness up her sleeve!! Congratulations!!
Post a Comment