Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Feminist Homemaker?


(Photo Summer 2008. Makes me miss long hair)

Hi, my name is Megan. I am a homemaker. And also a feminist.

Is that even possible? That's what Matt thinks. But I don't know if a real feminist would let her husband tell her that she is a feminist. Anyway.

It all started this evening while I was preparing my lesson for young women's. The topic? Homemaking. Oh, help me. Somebody please tell me how to talk to 12 and 13 year old girls about homemaking.

I read through the lesson, all the while stifling many laughs and a few swears (trying to have the spirit, you know). Finally I went upstairs to tell Matt about the lesson, and the problems I had with it. I started out calm, expressing my belief in the importance of homemaking and my own satisfaction in said role. But before you know it I was ranting.

"How can we give these girls an inaccurate view of life as a homemaker?" I said. "This lesson is written with absolutely no wiggle room for women who choose to work outside the home!" I said. "What about girls whose mother's are not homemakers?" I said. "Being a homemaker is not all sugar-coated gum drops!" I said.

Matt listened, and nodded and smiled. He told me that I am a feminist. I asked him how could I be a feminist and also a stay-at-home-mom that has dinner ready on the table every night when her husband gets home from work. He said it was because I chose to be a stay-at-home-mom, and that it would be different is a man ever told me I had to or should. We discussed that matter further, and Matt lovingly reassured me that he likes my feminist qualities.

This is what I think. It isn't so much that I don't want men telling what I should do...it's more that I don't want anyone telling what I should do.

So, am I a feminist?

(note: I worked out my lesson in a way that expresses the importance of homemaking in all situations. For women who work, don't work, have kids, don't have kids, married or unmarried. I feel much better:)

11 comments:

Erica said...

I like the way you've worked out your lesson. My Anne always takes her YW leaders to task when they make it sound like homemaking/motherhood/wife are the only roles to be aspired to. Your lesson will be great.

Unknown said...

I guess it depends on your definition. I think a feminist is someone who believes in women's rights in general, and that women should be able to choose and think for themselves. And for the equality of the sexes. Just because homemakers stay at home and raise kids and have dinner on the table, does not mean we are not equal with men. So, yes, you are a feminist! Me too!

Hoenes Family said...

I think you did that right thing. I don't think you are a feminist. I think that you are just an open minded person that thinks outside the box. Good for you at looking at all angles. I loved your story on Bree's first steps. I am so happy for you guys.

Nat said...

Oh, don't worry. I rant about that kind of stuff a lot, and I definitely categorize myself as a feminist. I am constantly struggling to reconcile my personal beliefs about women with what I sometimes feel the church teaches. I could give you many examples, but I usually end up sparking too many debates.

max said...

I have counseled with my brother-in-law Steve and, out of concern for our brother(-in-law) Matt and the un-homely situation he finds himself in, we have decided to forward the content of this blog post to the church's Celestial Living Oversight Committee. You should be hearing from them soon. With love, dear Sister, Max.

It's Miller Time said...

Feminism is simply a belief in equality of the sexes, although the term carries some misunderstood derogatory connotations I would hope that all women would consider themselves "feminists". What a great YW leader you are to want to give your girls a broad view of what homemaking can mean.

Steve said...

Good call, Max. But I don’t think we have anything to worry about. This is actually a brilliant piece of presiding on Matt’s part. Basically, what he is saying is “Sure hun, you’re a feminist. Now go fix my dinner.” As you may recall from the lectures on faith that were had from the cab of our dump truck, some chicks are more content with their God-given role as nurturers if they feel that they are somehow simultaneously standing up for women’s rights.

missy. said...

definition of feminism: believing that men and women are created equal and deserve equitable treatment. there's nothing contradictory about feminism and housewifery (if that's a word); feminism is about having choices and autonomy, and about supporting your sisters.

i feel like that's such an important message to get across to young women. there are so many areas that feminism is hugely relevant to our generation (domestic violence, human trafficking, pornography, to name just a few), and i think it's great that you are setting up a framework for conversation wherein men and women have equal value.

missy. said...

by the way, have you ever read the blog "feminist mormon housewives?" the people who read/comment at the blog have a wide range of opinions, but it's an interesting venue for thinking about the intersections between feminism, mormonism, and motherhood.

www.feministmormonhousewives.org

Megan said...

To Max and Steve,

Thank you for your concern. I do look forward to hearing from the good old CLOC! They've gotten to know me well over the years. It's nice to know that someone is looking out for Matt while I have my bra burning parties.

Should you have any further concerns regarding the role of the women in your life please look into the National Unrighteous Dominion Prevention Association. I'm sure your wives would be most appreciative!

Your loving and liberal sister,

Megan

missy. said...

that's awesome, megan :) the NUDPA!