Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sotos Syndrome

Aubrey had her appointment today at Primary Children's Medical Center, and we were able to meet with a doctor in the neurology department who specializes is muscular disorders. And even though it didn't go as we had hoped, we still had a good experience. We are always so impressed with the doctors and nurses at PCMC. They really take the time to answer all of our questions and help us understand everything. We never feel rushed or confused. Everyone is kind and helpful, and that makes a big difference.

After examining Aubrey and asking us about a million questions the doctor said that she suspects Aubrey may have a rare genetic disorder called Sotos Syndrome. Basically Sotos Syndrome is associated with very fast growth. It would explain Aubrey's large size at birth, her chart topping measurements(especially her head), her fast teeth growth, low muscle tone, and all her developmental delays. You can learn more about it here.

Like I said, we don't know for sure yet if this is exactly what we're dealing with. Aubrey did get a bone age test done today and we'll get the results of that back in a couple of days. But the real answers will come with genetic testing...and that may take a while because most insurance companies don't cover genetic testing, and it's quite expensive. The people at Primary's are working on finding out what they can get our insurance company to cover, and then we'll move forward from there.

One thing we do know for sure, is something we already knew. It's going to be a long road and a lot of work to get Bree up to speed. They told us to get her started with speech therapy right away, and to of course keep doing regular physical therapy. We're also going to start working with an occupational therapist soon, so we're gonna be busy!

These visits to PCMC are always hard for us. Aubrey has been making some awesome progress lately, and we've had so much to celebrate and rejoice in. These visits certainly have a way of bringing us down to earth and forcing us to understand the reality of our situation, and take a long hard look at what the future holds. And while we know the future holds a lot of smiles, and happy times, we're also keenly aware of all the challenges that lie ahead for Aubrey and our family.

The thing we are hoping and praying for the most right now is that our insurance company will come through for the genetic testing. It would be great to finally get some answers, and know for sure what we're dealing with.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers!

7 comments:

Eliza said...

Not only will your wonderful family be in my prayers but so will the insurance company people... I hope (and like I said, pray!) they come through for you on the genetic testing without too much of a fuss!!

...and Aubrey really is a stunningly gorgeous girl!

Melanie said...

I'm so glad to hear that they are getting closer to understanding what you guys are dealing with. Hopefully that could mean more answers.

And what cute jammies!

Hoenes Family said...

I will pray for you for sure! I hope your insurance pulls through for you guys.

Mrs. S said...

You guys are in our prayers. I hope the bone testing will help determine if this is what your guys are dealing. I have a sister who has a son they think has fragil x syndrome. He's 12 and they are just coming up with this. They are also going through the process of having genetic testing done. It's too bad there isn't a simple test that can tell you yes/no. I think my sister and her husband (not elka, the sister who comments on your blog) are actually having the genetic testing done as "research" because they couldn't afford it or the insurance wouldn't pay for it. The doctors pushed it through to have the genetics of the family studied as "research" because fragil x is rare and my bil has an "unknown" gene that they found from previous genetic testing my sister and he underwent when their son was younger. I hope you find the answers you need. We love you!

Lars said...

Glad to hear the experience was good despite the long road. We'll keep you in our prayers. She's so adorable. If you have time to play between therapists let's get the girls together.

I like your new blog description too! :0)

Chelsea and Jay said...

Our prayers are with you Megs. I read about Sotos. Aubrey is beautiful! Hang in there!

whitney said...

I love the crib picture-Aubrey's just SO beautiful.

(((hugs))) I sure hope your insurance company is willing to cover some stuff for ya'll-not knowing is often so much harder than knowing what you're dealing with. You're such a good mom, Megan. Always remember that.