Friday, September 26, 2008

Warriors

Now that it's been a few days since Aubrey's appointment at PCMC I think I'm ready to talk about our feelings regarding the suspected diagnosis. The more research we do on our own, the more we feel that the doctors are right in their assumption that Aubrey has Sotos Syndrome. It just seems to fit. That has been a hard rock to swallow. Especially after visiting some support group websites and hearing of others struggles. However, we do find comfort in knowing that there is a wide range of severity within this diagnosis...so we aren't going to rule out anything in terms of Aubrey's development. There have been plenty of individuals with Sotos who have gone on to live normal lives. And with the progress that Aubrey has made over the past few months...well, we believe she will too.

We did get some really good news today. The results of Aubrey's bone age test came back completely normal. Now, we don't really know what that means yet in terms of her diagnosis because we weren't able to talk to the doctor today, but it has to mean something! And we take it to mean something positive. We still haven't heard back yet from the insurance company regarding the genetic testing, but we continue to pray that it will all work out.

I've been in touch with the early intervention program that we're working with to get things going for speech therapy and occupational therapy. We've decided we'll start things slow because we really don't want to overwhelm Bree, and make her feel like she can't just have some time to be a kid! I am so thankful for these wonderful programs and for the awesome people who support families like ours! They are real heroes.

A few days ago I sat down with Aubrey for a mommy daughter talk. I made her a promise that I would always be a warrior for her. I told her that I knew she was going to have to do some really hard work, and she wouldn't like it...but that I would work just as hard if not harder for her. If it means finding the best doctors/services/treatments etc. then I'll do it. I will always push her when she needs to be pushed, and hold her when she needs to rest. I will always believe in her. I will always love her. Period.

I think I needed to have that talk even more than she did. Now more then ever I am thankful for the God given drive that I have as a mother to know I would do anything for my child. I'm not afraid. I'm not sad or mad. I'm ready to get to work.

(And I don't mean to neglect Matt in this post either. He has been and continues to be my warrior/hero. He has enough faith to lift us all up.)

(Also, today Aubrey waved bye-bye to the cashier at Harmons! Rejoice!)

6 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

It was sooo good to see you last night! We miss you guys! And we cheer for Aubrey every step of the way - she is one adorable, beautiful, and gifted girl. I've never met anyone who comes close to her in charm. And her mommy is all of those things, too. :)

Erica said...

i cried reading that post. you are an inspiration.

Unknown said...

yes, thank you always for sharing these things with us. I am always uplifted by your attitude.

Carolyn said...

What a wonderful post. You are amazing.

Kika VilaNova said...

I really, really think that Aubrey is an angel! And she has the best and most loving mom EVER! I am learning so much from you just reading your posts! thank you for always sharing your hard and good times in your journey!
and it was awesome to see you last week, you look BEAUTIFUL!! :)

whitney said...

Your optimism always amazes me Megan. Bree is so lucky to have you to look up to and emulate.

Yay for the waving! It the little things like that that can make a day.