Anyway. As a result of this awfulness I was really limited in what I could do with Aubrey. We haven't left the house in 2 days because I can't look over my shoulder (no driving) and I don't even want to think about what it would take to get Bree into her carseat.
Now, you may be wondering why the title of this post is "We Are Blessed". Well, I'll tell you! Since I haven't been able to lift Aubrey very well, or bend down to help her and move her towards things...guess what? She has started doing a little army crawling/scooting!!!! It's amazing! There was a dvd case on the living room floor, directly in front of her. And I watched as she got really frustrated because she wanted it. She got up on her little elbows and started kicking her little legs like she was swimming...and before I knew it she had pushed herself to the dvd player!! Matt came home from work a little early to help me out, and we seriously spent an hour putting forbidden things (cell phones, my wallet, magazines, anything paper, etc.) in Aubrey's path to tempt her. We watched and watched as she pushed and struggled and kicked herself forward towards the desired objects. It was so fun. Now the poor thing has carpet burns on her knees, elbows, and chin:)
We have been praying and praying that we would start seeing more improvement in Aubrey's gross motor development. And I know without a doubt that this annoying neck pain was a factor in Aubrey learning how to do something on her own. We know that the Lord hears our prayers, and sometimes answers then in the strangest ways. We're so thankful.
Another blessing we've seen over the past few weeks has been noticeable changes in Aubrey's cognitive development. Her physical therapist commented at our last appointment that Bree is so much more aware of what is happening around her. She has been doing some really important things like turn-taking sounds (I'll make a sound, and then she'll respond with a sound), trying to communicate, following instructions, learning how to play with toys rather than chew on them, turning pages in books, etc. It has been such a delight to watch her learn! When we say "Aubrey, let's say a prayer" she'll fold her little arms. We've also been working on a little bit of sign language, and she has learned the sign for "more".
It brings us so much joy to see our little girl growing and learning and stretching herself. And more than anything else we thank Heavenly Father for blessing her and us at the times when we need it the most.
10 comments:
That is such a neat experience! How exciting that she is doing all of those things!
This is Kali by the way
The Lord does work in mysterious ways at times!
Big high fives to Aubrey!!! You go get'em girl! :-D
Congratulations... to Aubrey! That is so fun. I feel you about the neck pain, though. It's amazing how limited you can become- but look at the payoff! Go Aubs!
how awesome!!! I'm so happy to hear that Aubrey is doing new stuff! I have a friend with a little boy that was just diagnosed with hypotonia...that's what I wanted to call you about. she wants to talk to you to know more about what she should expect in the future. call you soon!
yay to aubrey and to you guys! what a blessing to see your sweet little girl moving and progressing and do things that i know you've been hoping for for so long. i can't wait to hear of all of the new things aubrey will continute to learn!
what wonderful news and what a blessing!
what a great story. reading it made me miss hanging out with you! glad you're feeling better...
that's awesome! way to go aubrey! you are definitely not a sissy, i've had that kind of neck pain before and it's so frustrating and painful that i kept crying.
Oh yay! yay! yay! The neck pain is no fun, I'm sure, but it's so exciting that Aubrey is doing so well! I'm so happy for you.
Post a Comment