As has always been the case, Bree's progress continues to be painfully slow. Having said that, we have seen a lot of (small) improvements over the past few weeks. The most noticeable change has been Bree's ability to sit. She has finally gotten to the point where I can sit her down and walk away from her without worrying about her falling over. (that doesn't mean it doesn't happen...it's just a lot less frequent). The quality of her sitting is also getting a lot better. By that I mean that she is sitting up straighter, and playing with toys and reaching to grab things while sitting. She is doing really well with stabilizing herself, and will even catch herself with her hands if she starts tipping sideways. These are things that most kids master in a matter of days and weeks, but for us it has been a loooong process...so we rejoice!
Today at her physical therapy appointment we decided (along with Ben...the wonderful P.T.) that we will begin weekly therapy, instead of every other week. Bree also works with a woman from the local early intervention program twice a month, so this means that she will get at least 6 sessions of P.T. every month! It is a lot of hard work for Aubrey, but we really think it will help in the long run.
On a more personal note, I have felt a lot of peace over the past few weeks concerning Aubrey and her development. Is it still hard? Yes. Do I still worry? Absolutely. But rather than crying and breaking down emotionally, it seems that my worry has been tempered and pushed aside. When the questions come rolling in (will she be ok, what's causing this, will all my children be this way?) they are quickly replaced with the thought "she'll be fine". I don't know what "fine" means, but it feels good.
I would have to say that the thing which fills me with the most comfort is that fact that there is progress. Slow as it may be, I can look back and say that Aubrey is further along than she was two months ago. It is a true test of patience and faith. I hope we pass.
Also, tonight Matt and I were talking about how we will never take anything for granted when it comes to our children's development. With every milestone we will rejoice and celebrate. So we decided that when Aubrey finally crawls we will throw a huge party, and you are all invited in advance!
4 comments:
I am so glad to hear that Aubrey is making progress!! Her smile just lights up my day. I know that might sound strange, since I have my own baby who smiles non stop. However, Aubrey's smile is so darn infectious!
You are a strong mother. I have a lot of admiration for you and your family. I'm so glad to hear that Bree is progressing. What a blessing!
I'm glad she's making progress. I could even tell from your pictures lately that it looks like she's sitting up better with each picture.
ditto to Rachel's comment... I've noticed it in pictures too that she's definitely getting stronger and better at it. Go Aubrey, you little rockstar!
Post a Comment