Friday, March 21, 2008

Keeping It All Together

Sometimes do you ever do something so completely stupid that it makes you feel like screaming?

Last week I took Aubrey to her physical therapy appointment, and as we were sitting in the waiting room I noticed that the receptionist kept looking at me funny. She came out and informed me that Aubrey's appointment wasn't until 3:00 pm (at the time it was 12:00). I felt slightly embarrassed at my mix-up, but we decided that since it was a bit of a drive we would just come back the next week instead. So I scheduled the next appointment and wrote it down on my calendar.

So, yesterday I planned my entire day around Aubrey's P.T. appointment. We went shopping with our friends in the morning and made sure we could be back in enough time for Bree to have a nap before we went. I woke her up from her nap so we wouldn't be late, and got everything ready. Before we walked out the door I had a slight moment of dread...remembering last weeks mix-up. Just to be sure I looked at the appointment card they gave me. 3/19/2008 at 3:00 pm. Then I pulled out my cell phone...and it told me that it was 3/20/2008. AAAAHHHH! I missed it again!

So, I called the clinic and apologized profusely and left a message with her P.T. as apologized profusely some more.

And then I sat and wondered why I couldn't get it together enough to take Aubrey to her appointment on the right day and at the right time. I felt like I was seriously losing my mind. I then I had a little mini meltdown as I considered the state I would be in if I ever had more than one child. The older they get the more things there are to remember. And the more children you have, the more there is to juggle. Maybe I'm not cut out for a big family after all!

I called my mom because I was just feeling so stupid and embarrassed that I had to tell someone. Now, my mother is the kind of woman who has it all together. She is my hero of organization, planning ahead, and all things thought-out. She has more organization skills in her little toe than I have in my entire body. Seriously. But she assured me that she has had many similar mix-ups, and that as frustrating and embarrassing as it is...it will get better.

What I think (read: HOPE), is that "having it all together" may not come naturally for some people (read: ME), but it is a learned skill. I think being organized, making lists, and double and triple checking things will come more naturally to me over time...just so I can keep my sanity. One thing is for certain...I can no longer count on my brain alone to "keep it all together". I leaving right now to go buy an pocket organizer!

7 comments:

Kika VilaNova said...

I so know how you feel, even though I don't have kids, yet, I can NOT trust my brain. Two years ago I forgot my DAD's birthday! Can you believe that? So, anyway, yah, frustrating.
Now I have THREE calendars at home (office, fridge, our bedroom) and one at work and a planner AND I put alerts on my cell phone like "remember doctors apptm tomorrow at 3".. If I don't, I'll lose my mind! :)

Which pocket organizer did you get? :)

Happy Easter!!

Unknown said...

One other injustice is that I feel this is mostly a problem for women!! Because on the most part men just have to worry about their jobs, and their secretaries remind them of things when they get there ;)) (maybe it is a bit of an over generalization, but I just don't think guys will ever understand how many crazy things we have to juggle around in these little heads of ours. (But then if my husband ever gets onto me about it, I just kindly remind him that he can barely remember to change the baby's diaper when I am away!)

I do think it is something that overtime we can improve. But until then,... people just need to be understanding!

Melanie said...

Oh no! What a sad end to such a great day! (Did you get that skirt, BTW?) Wait till I tell you about my afternoon... so sad (as in pathetic). I was just remembering yesterday how after Leah was born I had days (okay, months) where I could not do anything but nurse her and sleep. I would actually look down after walking out the door to make sure I remembered to put pants on! I still have days like that, but thankfully they are fewer and farther in between. I think it just comes with time, and a few errors. You're a great mom, though! Don't be too down on yourself.

Remember... we may not have it all together, but together we have it all! (cheesy, I know)

Mrs. S said...

I completely understand how you feel! I feel like I am barely keeping it together some days! Thank heavens for mothers though. They have a way of making things a better.

Nat said...

Yeah, I LIVE by the calendar on my cell phone. If it's not in my phone, it's not happening. Ditto on Megan's comment - I feel like this is such a bigger problem for girls than guys. I never see Mike beating himself up for things like this the way I do. I think maybe men are just a lot more laid back.

Rachel said...

I feel the same way lately. I used to be so organized in school but now I feel like I can't remember anything and I don't even have children. I think planners definitely help.

Chelsea and Jay said...

Oh, you are not alone...trust me!!! I have done numerous things like that since I have had Hannah. There was actually a CNN special on the hormonal changes that happen in women after babies that causes memory loss...it is a scientific fact!!!! Don't feel bad. I love this quote "FAMILY- we may not have it all together, but together we have it all" :) love ya!