Monday, February 25, 2008

Weekend, Routines, and Leap Day

Picture of the week
Well, it was all together a pretty craptastic weekend. On Thursday morning Matt said he wasn't feeling well. By Thursday night it had turned into the nastiest little flu bug ever. He had a fever, body aches, chills, hot flashes, swollen glands, wretched cough, etc. Needless to say, he's been pretty miserable. And on top of that, Bree has been trying to cut a tooth for a week, and it still hasn't popped through. No fun has been had at our house in days. Unless you count the times when I escaped into the bathtub with a book. That was a little fun.

I don't know about other wives out there, but I don't seem to function very well when my husband stays home sick. Sure, I didn't want him to go to work on Friday...the poor guys was so sick. But whenever he stays home from work it tends to throw me off. He wants to sleep in bed but then I have to remind him the Bree naps on our bed during the day (because her room gets super bright). He wants to watch TV, but I don't like the tv to be on while Aubrey is awake...and I don't like it to be on when she's asleep unless it's on mute. And as hard as I try...I still can't help myself from feeling like he's in the way. Then I catch myself saying things like "you better not get me sick, because I don't get to take a sick day!" Then I feel bad because no one wants to be talked to like that, especially when they're ill. So then I make him some herbal tea and toast.

I don't know when I became such a "routine" person. I remember when I was a parent advocate I used to do a whole lesson for parents on the importance of routine. I talked about how routine/structure is good for children because it helps them to feel safe and secure in their envirnment. I taught them about how children tend to behave better when they know what to expect in their day-to-day activities. So when I had Aubrey it just sort of happened. I was never much of a routine person before she was born...so that's why sometimes it surprises me when I get all bent out of shape when one thing like Matt staying home from work can totally throw me off.

Anyway...today is Monday. And I am ready for this new week!

(note: is anyone going to do anything special on our leap day? it seems like we should celebrate or something, i mean it only happens every 4 years, right?)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Leap Day is on a friday, so I think it definitely does call for a celebration. I'm not sure that I have any great ideas though. If you're really going to do something though I'm more than happy to join in, even if we just bang pots and pans at midnight.

Melanie said...

I am a complete routine person. And it only got worse once I became a mom. I think it's my attempt at having control over something when so much of motherhood is out of my control. I like it though- if things get off, I know how to get them working again. And I think my little family likes that, too.

And the roast was great- you saved the day!

It's Miller Time said...

It drives me crazy when Sean stays home too, so don't worry, you are not the only one. Hope you guys finally get rid of all the yucky stuff at your house.

Nat said...

I felt the same way last summer when Mike had pneumonia. He had to stay home from work. . .for a month. It drove me CRAZY but then I'd feel so guilty because, who gets pneumonia anymore? But at least I only had to take care of one person. I can't imagine what that's like when you have a baby to take care of too.

Rachael said...

ditto, ditto, ditto!