Monday, January 28, 2008

So Thankful

Scroll down to the next post to read about aubrey's MRI experience.

As I mentioned before, being at PCMC was an experience I won't soon forget. Just being there in that building with so many fragile children and so many fragile parents...well, it evoked tremendous emotion in me. It was quite humbling to say the least. Immediatly upon entering the building we walked by two severly handicaped children in weelchairs and their families. We saw one little girl sitting in a chair waiting while her parents went to get the car. She didn't have any hair. I knew instantly that this was a place where hearts were broken, and healed. A place where tragedy struck, and miracles happened. All at once I didn't want to be there, and I was SO thankful to be there.

After Bree was put into the MRI machine and we had to wait, Matt left to find something to eat. I was by myself in a small waiting room. I called my mom and gave her a quick update. While I was on the phone with her a young dad came into the room with a baby. When I hung up the phone I expected to have the uncomfortable "we're the only two people in the room, so maybe we should talk even though we don't really want to" conversation. Instead he looked at me and smiled a warm smile and asked "so, how're you holding up?"

Despite the reasons behind why both of us were there, we were really in the same position. Both of us parents. Both dealing with the stress of having a child with health problems. Sure, his baby had recently had heart surgery...but did he judge me for feeling stressed about an MRI? No. He asked kind questions and gave words of encouragment. He shared his experiences and told of miracles. It didn't matter what brought us to this place, we were there together.

Throughout the day this comradery between parents continued. I won't soon forget the kindness and warmth we felt from strangers who had their own plates full of worry and uncertainty. I want to always remember the patience and understanding of a nurse who rubs the back of a mother, not because she's recieved bad news or been sleep-deprived for days...but simply because she doesn't like to hear her baby cry.

More than anything, I left that building today thanking the Lord for the humbling experience of allowing me to see how "small" our challenges can be sometimes in comparisson to others.

6 comments:

Kristyn said...

Great perspective. Loved thisa post. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if my little guy had some debilitating ordeal later in life. It's almost too hard to think about. It sounds like that dad had the right perspecitve.

Kathryn Cooper said...

I'm glad to hear the MRI went well. I got all teary eyed just thinking about having to watch Tyson go through that. I forgot that I actually did see Tyson hooked up to tubes all over with his chest caving in and food having to go through his nose. He was in the NICU for the first 6 days of life. It's amazing how the Lord can strengthen us and how it will seem but a small moment.

Melanie said...

It's true- we can always be thankful that our trials are small in comparison to what they could be. Although that doesn't always make them easier, it does help a little bit. It sounds like it was quite the experience- I'd love more detail soon! (read: we'll be around all day!)

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing your experience. I think this was the first time I have been brought to tears by reading someones post! Your attitude is inspiring.

Eliza said...

Thank you for this post Megan!

Rachael said...

what a beautiful post, and i'm so glad that everything went well throughout the MRI. We'll keep praying for you guys!