This evening I made a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up a few essentials (milk, eggs, toilet paper, etc.). While I was shopping I noticed that there were a lot of couples doing their shopping. Now, that didn't bother me. I would love to go shopping with Matt...but these days I would prefer doing my shopping with out Aubrey. What DID bother me was that so many of these couples were practically
groping each other while they shopped!!! I mean, holding hands or putting your arm around someone is not a big deal....I'm not totally against PDA, but is it really necessary to make out in front of the cereal? I mean really. Is your need to plaster yourself to your husband (or boyfriend) really so strong that you can't wait until you get to the car? Fine, make out in front of the cereal if you must, but at least get out of MY WAY!!!
*sigh*
Once I got home I told Matt about my shopping frustrations and asked..."am I wrong about this? Does this make me some unromantic grump? Were we ever like that?" He assured me that we have never groped or made out in the grocery store...and said that he thought that was gross too.
So, I'm curious about what other people think about PDA. Did you and your spouse ever make-out in the frozen food section...would you still? Are you the type of person who will put your hand in your spouses butt pocket while you walk through the mall, or does that kind of stuff make you gag? Just curious:)
10 comments:
ha ha ha. so funny. i'm all about a little smooch now and then in public but NO making out anywhere. i can say i'm guilty about the butt pocket thing once or twice - just to be funny :)
Just to play devil's advocate, maybe because it was a Friday night it was a date night so it is their only chance to get out away from the kids and the house so that is what erupts. Personally, I don't like attracting attention to myself so I don't go beyond the hand holding when out with my hubby!
ha! i guess i'm on the other side of this one. a few weeks ago joe and i were at the grocery store on our weekly "date" and we were feeling a little amorous. we were snuggling in the canned goods aisle when a lady came by and said, "you two make grocery shopping look fun!" and it is :)
I used to be all for a little kiss in public(not making out), but a little kiss. When we got married my husband didn't ever give me a kiss in public and I didn't understand why. I knew he loved me, but I didn't understand why he didn't want to show it! But over the years I have learned and understood that you don't have to show that love off. As long as you and your spouse know that you love eachother that's all that matters. Although, that doesn't mean that we're against holding hands or anything in public. Its just something I've learned. That's just my opinion. I've always thought people that make out in public are disgusting, though! I would have come home and griped to my husband too! (Sorry for the soap box... I'm done!)
Confession- I have definitely squeezed my hubbies booty while in public. I can't help myself! I think it's cute to see; my dad still does that to my mom. We hold hands and hug while in public, but we don't make out. That's kinda awkward to see in public. We kiss but not for longer than a second. Those peeps making out in the frozen section must not have been married yet. I felt that urge before marriage, but didn't do it- that's just too embarrassing and gross for others.
i confess, i have kissed my husband in public, but only after checking to make sure nobody was around. it weirds me out otherwise. sometimes my husband will kiss me good-bye in church when we're splitting off for different meetings, and i confess, i sometimes try to dodge him because i feel odd kissing in church!
but i do whack him on the backside every now and then. mostly because it makes me laugh to see him checking to see if anybody saw.
anyhow, if we do hold hands in public, it's notable enough that one of us comments on it, not because we don't like to, but because it probably means we're missing a child or two and we're actually on a date! yippeee!! usually we only hold hands when we're falling asleep.
Hahaha, what a funny discussion this is:) Missy, your comment especially cracked me up. I can totally see you and Joe getting frisky in the canned good isle!!!
I'll just add that I love to hold hands with my hubby and my absolute favorite thing is when he puts his arm around me. Matt is really uncomfortable with pretty much all PDA besides holding hands, so when he does give me a kiss on the cheek or something like that in public it makes me feel extra special. But neither of us likes watching others get busy in weird places.
Matt said he heard a couple on campus speaking baby talk (oogly googly stuff) to each other in the library and he was sooo embarrassed for them:) Isn't it funny what different people are comfortable with???
I'm probably more physically affectionate (yes, even in public) than a lot of people (but not making out!!!). I'm certainly not above the occasional smooch in public or bottom slap, and we hold hands often. A lot of it depends on location. I'll be a lot more affectionate in a "date" sort of place like the movies (I can't even remember the last time I went there:P) or a restaurant. The grocery store etc.-not more than a peck and same hand holding...ok, and an occasional bottom grap when he's bending over. I think it's all about how flaunting it is-are they kissing just to show everyone they're in lluurrvvee and have to kiss-kwim?
What grocery store were you in?
I was in Macey's.
Post a Comment