Going to the grocery store with Aubrey has been somewhat difficult in the past. Not because she fusses a lot or anything (on the contrary, she is usually so happy when we're out of the house). It's been hard because her carseat doesn't fit in the top of average grocery carts. It does fit in the carts at Target though. So, thats where I've been doing my grocery shopping. This isn't very convenient though, seeing as how it's a good 20 minutes away and certainly not as cheap as some other stores. Also, I have a hard time going to target and not finding my way over to the clothes, shoes, jewelry, or baby section:)
Normally a person wouldn't still put their almost 11 month old in a carseat to grocery shop, but because of our special circimstances I do. But today I just needed to pick up a few things at the store, so I really didn't want to make the trek all the way out to Target. I decided that since Bree has been sitting so well lately, that it was time to just give it a try. So we went to Macy's. I carried Bree into the store, put her in a cart, buckled her in, and let go. Much to my pleasure she held on tight to the handle and sat like a little angel! She was so happy to be upright, looking at everything and smiling at everyone. We shopped for a good 20 minutes and the only peep I heard from her the entire time were squeals of delight.
While I was driving home I was reflecting a bit on our little adventure at the store. The thought came to me, that she probably could have done this at least a month ago. Why didn't I just try sooner? What was I so afraid of? Did I make it harder on her and myself? And then I thought of all the times I've said things or made excuses because "Aubrey can't do that yet." But, what if I was wrong? What if she could do those things, but I never gave her the chance to show me that she could?
I felt awful. I felt like instead of empowering Bree to be at her fullest potential, instead I've been coddling her. I've been "protecting" her from getting hurt. I haven't shown enough faith in her.
I know, I know. It was just a trip to the grocery store. But it was also a really good reminder to me of the kind of mother I want to be. I always want Aubrey to know I believe in her. I want my actions to prove that I believe in her. When she looks at me, I want her to see confidence.
I know Aubrey will get stronger. And I know that the more confidence I show in her, the more confident she will be in herself. It was a good lesson learned.
5 comments:
Good for Aubrey! I think we, as mothers, often find ourselves making it difficult to let go of our children in fear that they will fall. Children will never know that they can get back up if they fall if they haven't had the chance to learn. (If that makes any sense.) That was a very brave step for you to take w/ Bree, but you did it! And you found the power your daughter has inside of her too! You're a wonderful Mommy! :)
Very brave! Congrats on the big step!
I love your blog. I always learn something from it:) Oh and about Lost, i'm glade I'm not the only one who loves it so much:)And yes, the last night episode was so crazy. I don't even know what to think about the future flashing. Crazy but i love it:)
hi! I never knew one could learn so much from an outing to the grocery store!! Parenting is so hard! It is difficult to know how much to help and still let them grow. I am glad you and Aubrey have each other to learn and grow from.
what an interesting point. i've found that to be true a lot of times with my girls...if I give them a little bit more "leash," they amaze me.
Post a Comment