Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Parents and Children

This quote applies to me:

Most of us become parents long before we have stopped being children. ~Mignon McLaughlin

On Sunday evening Matt and I were going over our plans for the week, and talking about all the things we needed to do. The list started growing and growing, and before I knew it I had the urge to jump under the bed covers and hide until April (why can't us humans have a chance to hibernate, huh?). But as it is, you can't call in sick from life...especially when you're a parent.

There are about a million things that us parents are responsible for. Even under the easiest of circumstances we are required to juggle. When I was in college, I was a great juggler. I remember a semester in which I was taking 18 credits, working 2 jobs, had 2 callings, and also started dating Matt. It was tough...but I thrived under the pressure of it all.

Things are different now. Now, I am still (yes, still after 8 months) adjusting to motherhood. I am doing all of this for the first time. On top of learning how to be a mother, and trying to be the best mother I can be, I am also dealing with the emotions that come along with having a child with special needs. Additionally, there are about a million and a half things to do now that we've lost our health insurance. Places to go, papers to fill out, people to call, people to see, copies to be made, letters to write. And somehow, it all seems so much harder to do when there are so many emotions involved.

Juggling things as a parent is so much harder, because there is so much more at stake. What we juggle as parents is heavier than what we juggle when we're on our own. And...we never stop. Wanna know how I know? Well, rather than let me drop the ball or crumble under the pressure...my mom picks up some slack until I'm ready to carry the load again.

Yep, good old mom came to the rescue again yesterday. She lovingly watched Aubrey while I ran all over creation, filled out papers, called people, and filled out more papers. She did my dishes, and when I told her not to clean my kitchen she got sneaky and cleaned my bathroom instead:). And best of all, she listened to me rant, rave, vent, and cry. She did all of that for me, so I could do all of that for Bree. She gets it.


These folks are my heroes!

1 comment:

Kristin Hanson said...

Amen - a cheer to our mommies!!! I could never make it with out mine!