Today we got a slap in the face. More like a sucker punch, actually. Today our insurance company decided to cancel our coverage. It would take a huge, long, drawn out post to explain. I have neither the desire nor the energy to write it all tonight, but in a nutshell, ever since Aubrey began physical therapy and saw a neurologist the insurance company has been trying to find reasons why they shouldn't have to pay. Well, they believe they found a sufficient reason and have thus canceled our coverage, leaving us with mounds and mounds of unpaid bills for Bree's physical therapy, and no way to pay for future treatment. This has left us scared, furious, and devastated to say the least.
Now, on top of the emotional stress we already feel regarding Aubrey's physical condition, we have the stress of wondering how on earth we will have the means to give her the care she needs. Now that we know Bree has hypotonia, it is a pre-existing condition, so it's not like we can go out and purchase insurance with a different company.
At the suggestion of our family we have decided to appeal the decision and perhaps even take legal action if necessary. Although, I just don't know if I have it in me. It's during times like these that I wonder how much strength I really have. Matt always tell me that I am stronger than I give myself credit for. He says that being a mom makes me extra strong, because there is nothing stronger than a mothers love. I know that in comparison to some, my problems are a mole hill. But they still feel like a mountain right now.
The motherly protective side of me wants to shake those stupid insurance people by their necks and say "what kind of people are you? who does that to a child? who takes away opportunities of health and happiness? how do you sleep at night?" I really wonder if they realize the kind of pain and upset they cause.
Anyway, I guess life is really just one mountain after another. By the end we'll be able to climb Everest. It's late and my head hurts, so I'll leave it for now.
6 comments:
That is so crappy. I think insurance hassels probably cause me the most stress out of anything that has happened since we got married. You should definitely appeal it. If I ever become independently wealthy I will create an insurance company with reasonable rates that won't deny converage to anyone.
I'm sorry about that. I absolutely hate dealing with health insurance. After I had Caleb, I called my insurance to get Caleb put on my plan, and they said that my plan was canceled. They said the only way I was going to be covered again was to go back to work. So exactly one week after having a c-section, I went back to work. I hate insurance companies, I don't understand how they can justify canceling a plan. I am really sorry, I know it can be stressful, but hang in there. And I think a good move to take would be to appeal the denial.
i'm so sorry, i felt sick to my stomach reading your post. i'm glad you're going to appeal it because they're decision is RIDICULOUS. good luck...
So when Dave's done with med school, we'll make sure to live where you guys can get to us easily!!! I know your pain - I can't be covered by insurance companies, unless it's a company policy. It's been horrid, esp with the baby on the way, but I know the Lord will provide for us. And He will provide for you, too! I will keep you in my prayers and let me know if there is anything at all that I can do to help!
I am so sorry. I know there is nothing I can say to make it any better, but we will pray for your family. We've had some big insurance issues too. It's too much to explain as well, but basically we have $20,000 from Tyson's birth and week in the NICU that we have not paid. The hospital lawyers I think will discuss it with my temp job crappy insurance for another 20 years. They will probably finally send us the finalized bill when we are 50 years old and Tyson has his own kids. We have been through the insurance thing. Whatever you do get what someone tells you on the phone in writing! That would have saved us problems!
oh wow. I'm so sorry to hear about this--I would definitely fight it if I were you! I'm also wondering if Medicaid would help to cover some things--I think they will go back 3 months, and they may do it even with the pre-existing condition. My cousin and his wife had a baby born with very severe disabilities who required I don't even know how many surgeries to graft nerves and rotate bones, and I think Medicaid covered absolutely everything for them.
We'll keep you guys in our prayers!
Post a Comment