Friday, November 9, 2007

Dumbledore Is Out Of The Closet

About a month ago, or so, J.K. Rowling announced at a public appearance in the U.S. that the beloved character Dumbledore from the Harry Potter books was Gay. When I first heard this I was very confused. Was there something in the books that I missed? But I didn't really think about it all that much because I've already read the books and I didn't feel that it affected me in any way to have this information come out.

Then I was wondering if I should say anything to Matt about it, who is in the middle of the third book right now. I was unsure what he would think or if it would make his experience of reading the books any different then the experience I had. I think I mentioned it to him and his response was surprisingly apathetic.

I'm curious...what is your response to J.K. Rowling outing Dumbledore now that she is finished writing the series? If you haven't read the books, will it effect the way you read them? If you have and you re-read them, will you do it will a different eye? What about the movies? Does this really change anything? I am interested in everyone's take on this, so please share!

6 comments:

Ann said...

I was a little upset when I first heard this about Dumbledore. But I have decided that it doesn't change anything for me. I'm sure JK Rowling doesn't invision her Harry or Dumbledore or Ron to look the same as I invision them. She's going to see them differently than I do. So I figure that she can see Dumbledore as gay, but the Dumbledore in my head is not. That's the great thing about books. Everyone can interpret a book in whatever way they wish.

Kristin Hanson said...

I was taken aback when Dave told me about it. Why does it matter if he's gay or not? Why bring it up now after the series is finished, which, by the way, don't suggest anything? I feel like Rowling is either trying to satisfy the people who care about such things or just wants to make waves now that she's done writing about Harry. I'm currently rereading the last book of the series and doing pretty well at trying to forget about Dumbledore's sexuality - if there's nothing in the books to prove that he is, why should I have to think of him as a gay wizard?

Mrs. S said...

I agree. The dumbledore I wrote in my head as I read the series was not gay. One of the beauties of a book is that you can write the characters however you like. They become yours. I was a little upset that JK Rowling took that away by coming out about Dumbledore. I wish she didn't have to make it political. As far as I'm concerned, I'm trying to just see Dumbledore as I saw him before and forget all the political junk.

Matt Armstrong said...

Color me apathetic. Doesn't change my love for the books one iota, nor has it spoiled my subsequent listening/reading.

I, too, am a little bewildered she brought it up at all. I mean, what's the point? Just to stir up controversy and create extra publicity? Why bother?

Rachel said...

I heard that and thought it was pretty lame. I don't really think it matters though. If it wasn't important enough to mention in the books, then it won't effect the way I read them.

Rachael said...

For me, it doesn't affect my reading. I was more irritated than anything when she made that announcement--I wanted to say "Let the books go! Let them go! They're out of your hands now!" I didn't really feel like there was anything in the books to back that up, so my Dumbledore isn't gay!