Sunday, November 18, 2007

Birth Days


My good friend (let's call her Mrs. S) suggested that some of us moms share our birth stories on our blogs. I thought that would be a fun thing to write about, so here it is.

My due date for Bree was March 1st, but when I was about 34 weeks pregnant I was measuring really large. So I got an ultrasound to measure the size of the baby. Well at 34 weeks she measured a little over seven pounds...with a really huge head! With 6 weeks till my due date, we all pretty much knew this baby would be really big. My doctor thought there may be a chance I would go early, and I was sure hoping I would. Well, I didn't.

My doctor was very adamant about not inducing first time moms unless they were "favorable" (meaning dilated and thinned enough). I clearly remember sitting on the exam table when I was about 1 week away from my due date and sobbing to my doctor because he wouldn't induce me. I was miserable. I was HUGE (so huge that people seriously thought I was carrying twins). I was sick and tired of being pregnant, and in my irrational and hormonal state I really thought I was going to be pregnant forever. Well, 5 days after my due date I went to the doctor with the intention of telling him i would not leave until he promised to induce me. Thankfully it didn't resort to that, because he finally said he would do it.

I got to the hospital at 7:30 am the next day and was checked into my room and hooked up to pitocin. I wasn't really feeling any pain at all for the first 3 hours. Then at around 11 am my doctor came in and broke my water to help move things along. Boy howdy...that sure worked. After that my contractions got incredibly painful. I was able to deal with it well enough, but I was planning on getting an epidural anyway, so after about an hour of hard contractions I asked for it. It worked well for a while but kept wearing off, so I had to have it upped 2 more times.

After about 12 hours I was feeling a lot of painful pressure. The doctor checked me and I was only an 8. We talked about the possibility of a c-section if I didn't progress farther (and with the size of the baby I already know it was a possibility). He checked me again 2 hours later and I was still an 8, with a lot of painful pressure. He suggested a c-section because he thought the baby was probably too big to move down the birth canal. I was fine with that.

About 20 minutes later Aubrey was born. When they took her out I can recall hearing the doctors say things like "she practically walked right out of you! She's gotta be at least 11 pounds! Holy cow that's a big one!" Well, she weighed 10 lbs 13 oz, so she was almost 11 pounds! And even though she was born via c-section she still came out with a cone-head. All that painful pressure I was feeling was her trying with all her might to get out!
It was awesome. Even though I don't think most people want to have a c-section, it was still a wonderful and beautiful birth experience. The most important thing to me was that Bree came out healthy and beautiful, and I was healthy too. I wouldn't change anything about my experience.

Next time (i can't believe that after reliving my pregnancy I can actually say "next time") I hope that my baby isn't quite so huge, and I hope I have the chance to try a V-BAC. Although if it doesn't work out that way I won't be too disappointed because I know the end result will be the most important thing.
Wow, that was long. Hope it wasn't boreing!

5 comments:

Rachael said...

oh man!!! i can't believe how big she was...wow. that must have been...a really fun...labor. :-)

it's interesting--my doctor in utah wouldn't induce me until i was a week over, but my doctor here induced me a week early, just because it was more convenient. that seems to be the same for all my friends here who had their first babies in utah! and after doing it two different ways, i've got to say i love the whole week early thing--it was SO nice to have a baby that only weighed 7 lbs 13 oz (almost a pound lighter)...everything seemed so much easier! hurray for easy babies.

this was fun to read! :-) it was like gossiping in the mother's lounge. gotta love it. ;-)

missy. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin Hanson said...

Wow, so you'd think that labor stories would freak me out at this point, but I'm more inspired by them. You are one strong girl! I still think they let you push too long, but hey, maybe I'll change my mind in a while :)

Mrs. S said...

I love it! I can't believe she was that big! Its like you gave birth to a 3 month old! :) I was a V-BAC baby, so it can be done! THanks for sharing you story!

Unknown said...

not boring at all! I love the way you tell your stories. I am so impressed that you carried such a big baby!