Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spinning

Before I got pregnant I had a gym membership at 24 hour fitness. I usually went about 3 times a week...4 times on a good week. It was there that I discovered my favorite workout of all time-spinning! I loved the spinning classes they offered there. It is the best workout I've ever had. It's 50 minutes of sweat, music, and more sweat. The thing I loved most about it was that during every class they would turn the lights out. It was awesome because I wasn't watching other people or focusing on anything other than my workout. And every time I walked away feeling completely high!

During my pregnancy and after I had Bree I pretty much stopped working out completely. When I was pregnant I felt justified. After I had Bree I felt justified for about the first 3-4 months. After that I always had an excuse. "Matt can't watch Bree...I'm too tired...What if she needs to eat...My favorite show it on tonight..." Shall I say more? So we froze my membership so we wouldn't be paying for anything when I wasn't going to the gym, but I also wouldn't have to pay all the start-up fees again when I decided to go back.

Well, last night we were watching The Biggest Loser together. During a particular scene that showed all the contestants vigorously working out, I thought to myself "wow, that looks like so much fun!" That's when I realized it was time to start up again. I don't want to be stagnant, or inactive, or out of shape. It's time to get back to business!

Aside from the obvious physical benefits I will receive by exercising (getting healthy, losing weight, toning my post baby flab..) I am hoping that I will also benefit mentally and emotionally. I've recently realized that in order to be the best mom I can be, I really need to start spending a little bit of time away from Aubrey...and I don't mean just going to the grocery store or going visiting teaching. I need a chance every so often to remember that I was my own person before she came around and that even though my life will never be the same again (and I don't want it to be), that I can still do things for myself.

So, tomorrow is the first day of November, and the first day of my new mission. Matt has committed to being home to watch Bree every Tuesday and Thursday evening and every Saturday morning. I'm really looking forward to having alone time 3 days a week, and getting back in shape!

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Good Luck! I like being able to work out as well. I just feel better when I work out.

Rachel said...

Good Luck, maybe I'll make the resolution with you. I've never tried spinning, but it sounds fun.

Rachael said...

Exercising is always my "reconnect with myself" time--the four days a week I run are SO much better than the other three, just in terms of having energy and endorphins and feeling good about myself!

Kristyn said...

That totally sounds like me. My exercising has taken a steady downward taper since having a baby. But I've discovered an amazing thing - workout videos! I check them out from the Provo Library and LOVE them. I write down the routines of the ones I like the best for when I have to return it. I do it while the baby's napping in the morning. I have no gym membership, and I'm not about to run in the snow this winter!