Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Pros and Cons


Well It's that time of year...and I'm not talking about fall. It's the time of career fairs and resume sending! This week Matt has gone to a few seminars put on by construction companies to recruit graduating CM majors, and today he went to a career fair where he gave out seven resumes to companies he is interested in. It's hard to believe that in 7 months he'll finally be graduating and we'll be heading off for a new adventure!


Matt is interested in several companies in Utah, but has recently taken a very keen interest in a few companies in Washington, Colorado, and Arizona. I have no doubt that with all of Matt's experience in the construction industry and all the jobs available out there that he will get several offers. I'm so proud of him and all of the hard work he's done to get to this point. And I'm so excited for him to begin a career in a field that he genuinely loves.


We've always talked about how cool it would be to get out a Utah for a while, and live somewhere new. This is an exciting option for several reasons.


1) Matt has only lived outside of Utah during his mission (Venezuela) and is eager to see what it's like.


2) There is something appealing about living in a place where the majority of people aren't LDS.


3) There are some very beautiful places with new things to explore (Colorado, Washington).


4) We feel it may bring our family unit closer together as we would have to rely on each other more and on extended family less.


5) There are some really amazing construction companies in other parts of the country.


However, there are also a few things that really scare us (or me at least) about moving away.


1) Now that my parents have moved here both of our families are close and we have TONS of support.


2) We have so many friends here that we hate to leave behind (except that some of them have left us behind...eh hem...Missy).


3) Let's be honest...housing here is so much cheaper then anywhere else (except maybe Idaho), and we would be able to buy a house much sooner if we stayed.


4) I need my mommy! No seriously, I never knew how much I needed her until I became a mom.


5) Aubrey has about a gagillion cousins here to play with:)


So even though we aren't fielding any offers just yet, the wheals are turning in our brains. In the end the one thing that would keep us here would be family. You can't beat Sunday dinners, built in babysitters, and always having a place to go to get away from it all. I guess we'll see what happens.
(The picture included is random, but I like it...so oh well)

5 comments:

Matt Armstrong said...

Well, you know that I vote for Washington. Aubrey will just have to play with her uncle and his doggy instead of all her little cousins. :)

In fact, maybe you guys could rent the apartment across the hall! We could be neighbors. (On the other hand, that might be a really bad idea...)

Good luck on the job hunt. I know how stressful it can be. Especially considering I'm in the middle of it right now.

Eliza said...

My husband will hopefully be starting pharmacy school next year and in October we have three different interviews all across the country (Georgia, Virginia, and Arizona)... your list of pros and cons was the exact same as mine, lol! Good luck with everything.

Rachel said...

I always thought it would be fun to move to Washington or Montana or somewhere adventurous where we could have some great experiences. Then I visited my friend who lives in Washington and has a baby and they like it but it also seems kind of lonely. They don't have any family up there. It made me realize that I really want my whole family to always be no more than 2 hours away. I don't know what I'd do if they weren't close by. It would be too lonely. I already feel lonely and I only moved to Lehi. That's exciting though, I hope everything works out.

p.s. Do you and Eliza know each other?

Rachael said...

hi megan--i don't know if you remember me (we used to live in Winfield next to M&K Knies). anyway, found your blog via Melanie's--it's fun to catch up with what you've been doing, and your daughter is adorable! good luck with your decision-making process!

missy. said...

hey! i have a good idea....nay, a GREAT idea. why doesn't matt give some resumes to construction companies in massachusetts?! i am such a genius.