Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Different Road



I think it's time to interrupt this long blog hiatus to write a post I've been stewing and thinking on for quite a long time.

I think that there are a few different reasons why I've had a hard time sticking with blogging.  Some of it has to do with using different social media platforms to share bits of my life.  Some of it has to do with being distracted by other things.  But I think one of the biggest reasons that I don't really blog anymore is because this blog has always been a place where I come and share my life in a very open and honest way.  Writing honestly was always the most rewarding aspect of blogging for me.  I knew that this was a place where I could come and tell my truth.

But the truth is that there have been some big changes in my life and our life as a family that I just haven't felt safe sharing here.  I have been scared, not because they are bad changes...they are good changes for me/us...but because I know MANY of my friends and some family will see it as bad.  However, lately I've been feeling this bone deep desire to live my life as authentically as I can.  And for me that means not allowing the fear of what others will think about me and my decisions to dictate the choices I make, or how I live my life.  It means not hiding, or pretending that I am something that I'm not.

So, the big thing I am referring to is...that we have left the LDS church (or Mormon church for my few non-LDS readers).  When I say "left", I don't mean that we have removed our names from the records of the church, or that we have been excommunicated.  I simply mean that we are no longer believing members, and we no longer attend.  I have not attended for well over a year.  It has been almost a year for Matt.

I'm not going to get into all of the details or specific reasons why we left the church.  But, because Mormons tend to make a lot of assumptions about those who leave the church (I know...because I used to do it too!) I will clarify a few things.  We did not leave the church because we were offended by someone.  We did not leave the church because we didn't have enough faith/didn't read scriptures/didn't pray/didn't try hard enough.  We did not leave the church because we just wanted to "sin".

The most honest and simple thing I can say is that we left because we don't believe it anymore.  Over time and because of some experiences we've gone through, we really began to question certain doctrine and church policies.  So we studied and we prayed, and we kept going.  And we studied more, and prayed more, and kept going.  And then we came to a point where belief in much of what is taught was gone entirely.  But we kept going, holding out hope that we could find a middle way.

But the middle way isn't easy to come by.  Especially here is Utah.  The time when we were really trying to find a middle way...to make it work and stick it out despite our change in beliefs, was a really difficult time.  It was just painful.  But Matt and I have both been members for our entire lives.  Our parents are.  Many of our siblings are.  And when it's all you've ever known, you fight for it.  And we did.

But the fight stopped being worth it for us.  And after I heard a General Conference talk that was given in 2013...a talk that made me weep (not tears from feeling the spirit, but of feeling my heart be broken) I decided it was time to stop trying to make this square peg fit into a round hole.  Especially when it was making me so profoundly unhappy.

So it has been a while now.  It hasn't always been easy.  We have lost some friends.  It has been tricky for our families.  There have been a lot of times where we have either felt like outcasts or "projects".  If we lived in Michigan or some other place when we made this decision, it likely wouldn't be as big of a deal.  But not being an active/believing Mormon in Utah...well.

But for anyone out there who is worried about us, here is some good news.  We are doing really well! We're happy.  We're spending more time together as a family.  I feel really lucky that Matt and I have been together on this journey.  I'm so thankful for him and his ability to not just tolerate my questioning...but to encourage it.  All along the way we have given each other all the time and space needed to figure out where we stand and what we want from life spiritually and otherwise.  Going through this together really encouraged communication and openness, and brought us closer together in many ways.  And, it has been a really beautiful experience to learn new things about myself...especially my spiritual self.

I also want to go on record and say a few important things.  First, we are not anti-Mormon.  We love our Mormon families and friends.  We are thankful for our Mormon upbringing, we acknowledge the good parts of Mormonism, and we know that so much of it has shaped who we are today.  Second, we made a choice that was right for us, and our family...and just because we have made this choice doesn't mean that we think other people who choose differently are somehow wrong.  We believe in following your happiness wherever it takes you.

It feels good to write this.  I hope it will feel good to publish it, too.

Lots of Love,

Megan


11 comments:

Rachael said...

What a courageous post! I hope that all of your comments and emails that result from this are supportive and loving.

If you're willing to share, I'd love to know whether you have replaced the LDS church with another faith system, or how that is all working out in your life right now. I have a lot of dear friends and family who are transitioning out of the church and that particular aspect of the transition seems like a tricky one to navigate.

Megan said...

Hi Rachael, thank you so much for your kind comment and question!

You're right, that is a really tricky aspect of transitioning out of the church.

At this point, even though we sometimes miss the "community" aspect of church, so far we haven't really felt a need to replace it with another organized religion. We are definitely open to learning about many different faith traditions and spiritual practices. But even a year and a half later, I am still discovering what faith and spirituality means for me. :)

Rachael said...

I have a lot of friends in the SL valley who now do "mountain church" with their families--basically they go hiking on Sundays as a family during the time they would normally go to church. It seems like it's been a good thing for them--just throwing that out there. I wish you the best! This is something that so many people are struggling with right now and I think it's wonderful that you are being open about it and acknowledging your choice in a way that doesn't imply anything about anyone else's choices.

Hoenes Family said...

Megora, thanks for sharing such a personal thing. You are my friend and I am happy that you are happy :) I have quite a few friends and family who have found other avenues on their own life's journey and I love them all just as much as I did when they were going to the same church as me. Love you friend.

Unknown said...

Good for you on making this brave decision. We struggle with organized religion too. Spirituality means different things to so many. Good luck on your new path.

Meaghan

luv4elcaminos said...

What a great post Megan, thank you for sharing. I hope that publishing it was, in fact, a positive experience for you. :)

Melanie said...

Megan! It's so good to hear your voice again through your honest, open writing. There is so much that I admire and love about you and Matt and your family. I hope that you will continue to share your journey and that it will bring you the happiness and spiritual peace that we are all seeking. Thank you for letting so many people into this courageous time in your life. I hope you never feel alone, even in a sea of Mormons. ;)

beapinkal said...

Megan,
Lds or not I truly think you are an incredible person and mother. Thank you for being honest and open and I wish you all the best! You are wonderful and I will be always grateful to know you!

Meg said...

Testing testing...some people have mentioned having a hard time posting comments.

Rachel said...

Megan, You truly are brave to share your life in such an open and honest way, so thanks for sharing so I can be apart of it, even a little bit. I can't say it doesn't make me sad to know we don't share the same faith anymore, but I am happy if you are happy and wish you the best. Love you!

Eliza said...

I love that quote by the Dalai Lama you have at the top of your post. Within the last two or so years, I have had a handful of friends find that the LDS church no longer worked for them and their families. The ability to make our own choices is a priceless thing and I respect you for doing what is best for your family.