Since it was a lot closer, I decided at the last minute that we would all go along. Matt said he would carry Charlie on the hike with him, and I figured Aubs and I would stay at the hotel (in Green River) and swim/hang out while they hiked and we would catch up with them at Goblin Valley when they finished. That's not quite how things went down, but it ended up great.
Matt felt bad about leaving Aubrey and I behind at the hotel, and once we started driving towards the beginning of the hike, I started feeling like I didn't want to miss out on the gorgeous scenery! So instead of dropping them off, we decided to just start the hike and see how it went with Aubrey. Matt's mom volunteered to take her out if things got too rough for her, so I could finish the hike with Matt and everyone else.
Well, somehow...we ALL made it through the whole (8 mile) hike! It took a group effort (thank goodness for big, strong families) and 6 hours. Matt's dad and brother both took turns carrying Charlie in the pack, and Aubrey on their shoulders. But I would say that Matt carried Aubrey (On his back, shoulders, or in his arms) for at least 90 percent of the time. And he never complained. Not once. Ok, except for all the drool that Aubrey left on his shoulder. He didn't really care for that :-)
The hike turned out to be a bit harder than any of us expected. There had been a big storm the night before, so even though the weather was perfect for us, all the slot canyons were full of water. Which made things a bit trickier, especially for the people who were carrying my children.
Oh, but it was BEAUTIFUL. Gosh I love Utah sometimes. I mean it was just so incredibly gorgeous. I swear the view around every corner just took my breath away. It was so worth the trouble.
There were a few times along the hike when tears would come to my eyes as I watched my whole family work together to get us all through...especially Aubrey. I'm so glad she got to be a part of something so special. I'm thankful for family members who will shoulder (literally in this case) some of the burden of her challenges in order to help us be unified and never left out. We are so blessed!
So it was a great weekend! The kids had some meltdowns at Goblin Valley the next day, just out of sheer exhaustion. After two nights of hotel sleep, and a really long day of hiking...they were pooped. I think we lasted about 15 minutes at Goblin Valley before we decided to put them out of their misery and head home. They were both asleep within 5 minutes in the car.
I swear, I offered to carry Charlie on several occasions...but the men felt it was their duty or something :)
Aubrey was entertained all weekend by "the little girls" as they are called in the family. They're the little girl cousins.
Matt's dad is 68. He is a stud, and I'm not afraid to say it. It's no surprise where Matt gets his endurance.
My gorgeous mother in law, Jan. None of this could have happened without her either! She was a great cheerleader. Every time we got through something tough she would say "Look! We can do hard things!" Love her.
Gosh, I love these people. Could they be any cuter?
Charlie was an absolute pleasure the entire hike. He was just thrilled to be there. Didn't whine or complain at all. And when he got tired, he just zonked. Here he is sleeping while Grandpa carries him.
Here he is sleeping while Uncle Jeff carries him. (He didn't even wake up during the transition from grandpa to Jeff)
Our niece Sofia showing us how to navigate through these water filled slot canyons. The older nieces and nephews eventually started going way ahead of us to talk us through each one, telling us the best rocks to step on, and where the water was deep or shallow. They're the coolest kids around.
It was tight in a few places, but Charlie loved reaching out and touching the rock as we walked along.
And this in the only picture I took at Goblin Valley the next day. I swear, there are some places in Utah that look like a different planet. We're so lucky to be so close to all this natural beauty.
The End
1 comment:
Im glad Matt finally got to go there, George and I were sad he couldnt go a couple years ago. I love that area especially that slot. It was my first!
As yes it is true Matts dad is a stud just hiking that let alone when it was wet and carrying kids. Matt already knows that i regard him highly so i doubt i need to repeat that, he just cant expect me to do Timpanogos with him again, unless he wants to tow me up the mountain!!!
Post a Comment