Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Magic in the Ordinary


Today, I felt so happy I could burst.  I think it was a combination of things that led to my bliss.  The PERFECT weather, a nap, and Charlie...to name a few. 

Oh, that Charlie boy.

This morning we went to Harmons, and as we were walking from the parking lot to the store, he pointed his finger at the building and said "Castle!"

In the car on the way home, he said the name of every sesame street character in his book.  "Cookie!  Ernie!  Emmo! Zooey!  Bird!"

When I was cleaning him up after lunch, I said "Well, what should we do now?"  And he said "Dance!"  So, obviously we did.

I don't know if I can adequately express the joy I feel in my heart every time he speaks.  When he calls me Momma, or calls blue crayons "boo-berry", or asks for his blankie, or brings me his ball and says "catch!"  It still feels like magic, every time.

Obviously it is all made so much sweeter because After 6 years, I have still never heard those words from Aubrey.  Aubrey and I communicate in our own way.  And over the years she has learned to say so much without verbalizing.  But it is still fraught with so much frustration and work.

But today, as we went about our day, doing nothing special...it all just felt SO special.  It is such a gift to have these simple moments of motherhood that don't feel like work.  It fills me up.  These small magical moments fill me up, and prepare me for the times when being a mother also means being a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, and a physical therapist.

I am so thankful that I get to experience both.  My children are incredible, and they make me better everyday.

2 comments:

Lloyd said...

Im so glad you can appreciate the blessings you have and share them so beautifully. Really need to meet this growing boy again!

Anonymous said...

Love it! - JZ