Saturday, June 1, 2013

Not to toot my own horn, but...beep beep

It has been 3 whole days since I last nursed Charlie.  So I think that is that.  I would like to toot my horn for a moment, because let me tell you.  It has been a long 17 months.  Nursing has always been really important to me, and one of the things I enjoy the most about having a baby.  And thankfully I am in a position where I can.  But boy.  We had quite a journey, Charlie and I. 

There was the overactive let-down (which made Charlie so gassy).  The over supply.  The cracked nipple that took 3 months to heal.  The time I got so sick with mastitis.  That one time that Charlie bit me so hard he drew blood, and I had a wounded nipple for weeks.  Oh yeah, and the second time he did that.

On several occasions I swore I was going to quit.  

But when it all evened out, and it stopped hurting, and started being easy...it was wonderful.  I loved that I had something to give Charlie that he couldn't get from anyone else.  I loved the snuggle time.  The ease to getting him back to sleep, or calming him down.

And I even loved it when he got old enough to start asking for it.  He would bring me his blanket, and say "nom, nom, nom."  Although it was a little embarrassing when he did that at church.

But now we are done, and it feels like he isn't a baby anymore.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Great work cute Mama!! I've had to fight hard for a successful breastfeeding experience for both of my girls (Claire was a 12 week case of unrelenting thrush from hell and Lilly is a lip tie and a bubble palate) but it is always so wonderful when you get to the good snuggly, pain free, amazing part of breastfeeding. What a great gift you gave Charlie!

Bea said...

Oh so cute! I'm thinking about the whole weaning process lately with Nora. She turned two in march and still loves to nurse. Which is fine i love it too but she still wakes up during the night and the only way she goes back to sleep if i nurse her. Same with going down for a nap. I have no idea how i will do it with her, she is so strong willed and loves it so much!
I can't believe how big Charlie is, he is so so cute!