Sunday, June 9, 2013

I Should Be In Bed

What is it about being up late at night, all alone in the quiet house?  I just love it.  I swear I can never get to bed at a decent hour.  And every morning as I'm dragging myself out of bed, I kick myself for staying up late, and swear that tonight I'll go to bed nice and early.

I have too much on my mind tonight.  I load the dishwasher, wipe the counters, and pause for long periods of time...staring at a wall.  Thinking, thinking, thinking.

Thinking about when we'll be able to afford to redo the kitchen.  Thinking about all the anxiety and anger I've been feeling.  Thinking about possibly seeing a therapist.  Thinking about Stella, and whether we should get a new dog, and when.

The lights are low, the dishwasher hums, and I get out the broom to sweep.

And I think about my upcoming trip, and how excited I am, and everything I need to do in preparation.  I think about the friends I don't see or talk to anymore, but miss terribly.  I think about how I would like more friends in my life.

Then I pause from sweeping because Aubrey wakes up and wants a drink.  Then I put her back in bed, and come downstairs to finish.

I sweep and I think about Aubrey.  And I cry.  And I think and I feel so much about that little girl.

I wipe down the stove, I throw away some old things in the refrigerator, and take out the trash.

I come inside, lean up against a counter, and stare.  I think about God.  I think about all the questions and doubts that plague me.  I think about my mom.  I think about my 30th birthday that is coming up.  I think I will pull out the mop, but decide to wait until after the kids have had breakfast in the morning.

I write a love note for Matt to see when he eats breakfast in the morning.

I look around the kitchen and think about how much a person can get done when they have too much on their mind.


2 comments:

Matt Armstrong said...

I really don't have anything to say, other than this is beautiful. you really do have a wonderful way with words.

Rachael said...

Megan, just wanted to follow up with your comment on my blog--if you're thinking about going to see a therapist, I would definitely recommend it. I feel like it's been night and day for me--the last week has been one of the best I've had in years. I feel like I'm crawling out of a black hole and the world is wonderful again, even though none of the hard things in my life have gone away--I'm just able to deal with them and take them in stride rather than sinking into despair.