Wednesday, March 13, 2013

6


We celebrated Aubrey's 6th birthday last week.  She's so big I can hardly stand it.

I was deathly ill during her birthday, but I still managed to make a pan of rice crispie treats for her to take to school for a birthday celebration.  On the evening of her birthday we had planned to go to Ikea (one of Aubrey's all time favorite places) as a family.  I was too sick to stand up for 5 minutes, let alone walk through the monstrosity that is Ikea...so Matt and Aubrey went and met Grandma there.  Matt said she was so excited.  They had dinner and cake, and then let Miss Aubs wander to her hearts content and pick out a few treasures.  She had a great time.

Last weekend we visited my parents and did cake a presents with them too.

We are pretty laid back with birthdays.  Aubrey doesn't enjoy a big fuss.  In the past I've felt guilty about not doing some big friend birthday party for her...but I've learned over the years to make Aubrey's birthday about what she really loves and wants the most.  We eat food that she loves, we do activities that she loves, and she gets to see people who she loves.  And every year I see her so happy on her birthday and I don't feel bad for not doing more.  Doing more would be for me, not for her.
I'm so happy that Aubrey has been ours for 6 years.  Really I know that she has been ours for much longer.  Aubs is growing up in a lot of ways.  She goes to school everyday, she has "jobs" she does around the house (letting the dog in and out, putting her cups and plates in the sink), she is an incredibly loving sister and always tries to help Charlie.  And in many ways she is still my baby girl.  She still wants me to rock her and sing her songs.  She still likes Matt or I to lay with her for a while when she goes to bed.  She still totes her blankie around the house and sucks on her fingers for comfort.

Aubrey is not a typical 6 year old in many ways.  But you know what?  She is my very favorite girl just the way she is.  Everyday her smile and giggle light up our home.  Her endless hugs and affection soothe me when I'm worried or stressed.  I am thankful that she is not a typical 6 year old.  Because then she wouldn't be my Aubrey.  And I love my Aubrey.  Forever.

1 comment:

whitney said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Miss Aubrey! I remember when you were born. You were as beautiful then as you are now :)

Beautiful post, Megan!