"With Lucifer beneath you, and God above, when either one of them asks you what you're living of...say love." -The Avett Brothers
Sunday, September 23, 2012
Autumn Equinox 2012
Ah, my favorite day of the year! Ok, maybe my second favorite day of the year. We had our annual Autumn Equinox celebration this weekend. After a long scenic drive through the Alpine Loop, we found probably the last available camp site in the entire American Fork Canyon. The goal, as it always is, was to wander through the beautiful landscape, welcoming the cool Fall weather, and eating delicious camp food.
If I'm being honest, it wasn't the best day. These outings are getting to be increasingly difficult with the Aubs girl. Girlfriend has her own agenda for life. And sometimes, enjoying nature just isn't on her agenda. No matter how much we try to psyche ourselves out, and prepare for Aubrey to be in charge...sometimes it's really hard to let go of the vision we have set for our time out together as a family. But we are trying to learn to just go with the flow, and let it go the way it goes. Tossing expectations out the window just isn't easy sometimes...but we're working on it!
Overall, it was a nice night. Charlie LOVED exploring, touching, and eating everything. Aubrey loved the smore's and hot dogs. Matt loved the beautiful fall colors. You can't see it in these pictures...but the leaves on the alpine loop are blazing right now. I loved feeling the brisk autumn air on my skin, and coming home smelling like campfire.
Even though days like these can be challenging sometimes, we won't stop doing them. Because family traditions are important, and because I want to teach my children to love the Earth the way I do. And because sometimes I feel the closest to God when I am surrounded by trees and dirt and majestic mountain walls. So even if we have to deal with some tantrums, whining, and hyperventilating...I'm not going to give this up.
The kids both slept in the car all the way home, and went to bed stinking of smoke, with marshmallow stickiness on faces and hands.
Welcome, Autumn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment