"With Lucifer beneath you, and God above, when either one of them asks you what you're living of...say love." -The Avett Brothers
Friday, August 10, 2012
Name Them One By One
I imagine that I will experience this feeling many times over the coming years. And maybe someday it won't impact me as much as it does now. But right now? It feels kind of incredible.
You see...Charlie is starting to get around. He is in the early stages of crawling. It just happened. Today! Pushing up on those hands, and toes. Sometimes up on his knees. And scooting himself. Sometimes backwards, and sometimes forward. Always toward something he wants to reach and put into his mouth. I think it's called army crawling.
I know, I know. It's what babies do. Big deal, right? Well, yeah. It's huge. It's a miracle. And I tell you what, when I watched Charlie push up on his hands and knees and scoot himself across a blanket to reach a toy today, tears sprung to my eyes. And I thanked God for allowing me to witness something so special.
Because we've never experienced something like this before. Something so effortless and natural. Gross motor development that didn't require months/years of physical therapy, prayers, tears, and fears. It just...happened.
I remember when we were in the throws of Aubrey's physical therapy. She wasn't walking yet. Things were very hard. One Sunday when we were at dinner with Matt's family, Matt and I stood together in the back yard and watched Aubrey's cousin (who is three months younger than her) hold on to the sides of a slide and walk up it. And we both just looked at each other and shook our heads in amazement. Astonished at the feat he had just accomplished. At that moment, I knew that I would never look at another "typically developing" child again, without totally understanding the miracle of such a thing.
So today when Charlie scooted around on the floor I called Matt, and we celebrated. Everything that Aubrey has accomplished is incredible because of everything that she has to fight against to accomplish it. And everything that Charlie is accomplishing is incredible because the ease with which it is accomplished is truly a blessing.
Either way you look at it, these two kids are incredible. Today we count our blessings.
Labels:
Aubrey,
Because I don't want to forget,
Charlie,
Journal,
Special Needs,
Thankful
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love this. What a good reminder!
What an exciting day! Thank you for sharing it. You definitely do have two incredible kids.
SO beautifully put, once again! I love this. This is exactly how I felt when we had Ty and he actually LIKED food and was healthy enough to have the energy to work for it...but every time I mentioned it, I felt bad cause it felt like I was complaining about Evan...but I love how you described the miracle from both points of view--- cause they are both just incredible stories!!!!!
Love! Couldn't have said it better!
Post a Comment