(Photo taken shortly after we brought Charlie home from the hospital. Also, I don't know why Charlie was wearing grandpa pants pulled up to his armpits.)
Charlie had just woken up from a nap, so I went upstairs to get him. Aubrey was downstairs. I changed Charlie's diaper, and was talking to him and trying to coax some smiles out of him. He was starting to get fussy...letting me know he was ready to eat.
All of a sudden, Aubrey walks into the room...naked. I mean, naked as the day she was born. She wasn't even wearing her socks! Oh, and no diaper**. I just started laughing, and thought to myself "someone needs some attention!" So I was laughing and laughing, and she was laughing, and it was all just so funny until (I know you know whats coming) I smelled poop. Then I stopped laughing.
Upon further investigation, I saw that Aubrey had poop on her hands. So I ran downstairs real quick to see what she had done. Now, at this point Charlie isn't just fussing anymore....he's crying. Hard. He had gone from "Hmm, I think I could use a snack" to "MOM! FEED ME! NOW!" real quick. So I put him in his swing to try and keep him happy while I deal with the poop situation.
So, Aubrey had pooped in her diaper...decided she didn't like it, took off all her clothes, took off her diaper, and then spent some time (cringe!) investigating the contents of her diaper and spreading it around on the carpet! I can't even begin...I just can't even...I just...EW! So I look at Aubs and determine that she needs to be cleaned up (and punished!) immediately. Meanwhile...King Charles is screaming so hard that he's stopped breathing and his face has gone from bright red to a purple-ish color, and he's like "WOMAN IF YOU DON"T FEED ME RIGHT NOW I AM GOING TO DIE!"
So I hurry and wash Aubrey in the bathroom the best that I can, put a pull-up on her, and put her in her room. I go downstairs and grab Charlie, who is in hysterics. As I walk to the couch to nurse him, I realize there is still poop all over the carpet. I look at Charlie, I look at the floor, I look back at Charlie...and I say words that I never imagined would come out of my mouth.
"The poop on the floor is just going to have to wait for a minute."
So I fed Charlie. When he was through I cleaned up the mess, and went to check on Aubrey. She was naked again.
Today we bought a carpet cleaner.
**Yes, Aubrey is still wearing diapers. We have tried and tried and tried to get this girl toilet trained for more than a year....but she has been fighting us on it. It's like one step forward, two steps back. If anyone has any advice on how to potty train a very stubborn, non-verbal, developmentally delayed almost 5 year old...let me know.
9 comments:
Oh My Gosh Megan. I am so sorry, that seems like a rough day. Hopefully one day you'll look back and maybe laugh about it...
Oh heavens. I can relate to this situation. Right after I had Brooke. I was taking a bath.....Taylor came and told me that I needed to get out and "Come and see this". Kenzi had taken off her diaper and smeared poop all over her door, herself, stepped in it and left poop footprints etc... However, I was not alone and Brooke wasn't screaming! That is far more stressful! I agree with Mrs. H, that one day you will probably laugh about it. Although, you probably already are. I am jealous you bought a carpet cleaner. I should.
Ha! When I saw that picture, I thought, poor Charlie, his pants are really up there! Aside from that, it's interesting what things can wait while you have a nursing baby! And I swear, we all go through the poop situation in some form or another...You just have to laugh about it or else it will seriously drive you crazy!
I'm sorry! I know you probably don't think it's funny, but that is hilarious! UGH! I'm so so sorry! Who would have thought that signging up to be a mother would be so tough!!
my dad had to read max stories until he'd do his buissness in the toilet.
Yikes! That is hilarious! Awful... but hilarious! So glad you bought a carpet cleaner- hopefully you won't have to use it much!
We should talk potty training. Most likely it will just "click" at some point. I used to think that Lucas would never be out of diapers, but then, when Jake was ready to use the potty Luke was interested, too, so we worked on both of them at the same time and he got it. Now he never has accidents. I had three in diapers for WAY TOO LONG so I understand, although no poop smearing, thank heavens. Hang in there!
OH Megan! I'm so sorry! The joys of motherhood aren't always picture perfect! Darn it! I totally wish they were! Aubrey seems to be on her own timeline, she'll get, on Her time. In the meantime, a little chaos is normal, crappy, but normal! Hang in there and call whenever you need too! I will take either or both of them if you need a break!
I just saw this article and it made me think of you:
http://alphamom.com/your-life/postpartum/stay-at-home-realities/
Post a Comment