I have been awake since 4:30am. I got up to use the bathroom, and then instead of going back to sleep I laid in bed thinking obsessively about...wait for it...breast pumps. Weird, and stupid.
So around 5:00 I got up because I knew Matt would be getting up soon anyway. I went downstairs and made his lunch for work, and made him a nice warm breakfast. That man rarely eats a good breakfast these days...which I think is an abomination. If I were a better wife I would make his lunch and breakfast everyday, and not just on days when I can't sleep. But I am truly not a morning person. And dang, he gets up EARLY. Maybe I'll work on that. When I'm not pregnant. Or up all night with a newborn. Or...never mind.
Speaking of pregnant. Here's whats up with that. I am 27 weeks today. Which means only one more week until I enter the 3rd trimester. I never thought I would feel this way about being pregnant, but dang it is going fast! It seems like just a few weeks ago I was barfing everything I ate in Florida. And now it's October! I really only have 3 more months of pregnancy. And I know once the Holidays roll in, things are really going to fly by.
How am I feeling? Pretty good for the most part. Sleep is getting more difficult, but it is still not bad enough that I feel like a zombie during the day. The back pain comes and goes depending on my level of activity, but a warm bath easily helps that. I have leg cramps during the night every once in a while, and braxton hicks contractions everyday. But all these things are manageable. Now, the heartburn? Oh, the wickedness of heartburn. I hate it with every fiber of my being. And tums are my new best friend.
At my last doctors appointment I was measuring one centimeter large. Which isn't really that big of a deal, but it totally freaked me out because Aubrey was such a HUGE baby. I really don't want to have another 10lb baby...especially because I am hoping for a natural VBAC. Please, can I just have a nice 7 1/2-8 pounder?
My emotions are pretty whacked out these days. Everything makes me cry. I cry watching Music and the Spoken Word. I cry listening to music, watching a movie, reading a book, singing to Aubrey. I cry at happy things, hard things, and dumb things. And in every instance, it's over just as quickly as it started.
We have narrowed our favorite names down to 2. I'm pretty sure we have settled on one name, but we aren't going to say for sure until we meet our little guy and see if the name fits. I call our baby my little kick boxer, because he is moving and kicking all the time. Especially first thing in the morning. As soon as I wake up he gets busy kicking and punching my insides. I sit up in bed and watch my whole belly move and shake, and it makes me laugh. And it makes me feel like I am getting to know him. I think he is a funny little guy. He's got spunk.
Well, if I'm lucky I have another hour before Aubrey wakes up. Maybe I should try to go back to sleep. Or maybe I should research breast pumps:) Do any of you nursing/pumping mommies out there have any recommendations? What have you used and liked? Or, did you feel like you never really needed one? (I never pumped with Aubs)
9 comments:
I like my medela electric pump... I just got the single pump because at most I only pumped once a day, and it was usually at night before I went to bed... it was nice to have an extra bottle on hand for if I left Max with George or with a babysitter, so they could feed him. And it was nice being able to take bottles places where it wasn't as conveinent to nurse. I definietly think it's worth the money if you'll use it, but they can be pretty expensive.
I totally hated pumping, but others have told me you really need to have a good pump. And, good pumps= lots of money. Its a tough call! good luck!
I bought the medela Pump in Style and after 5 stright years of nursing and 3 babies, I only used it when they started solids to mix milk with the solids. Just get somehting reasonable priced and simple and then if you find you need more later, you can upgrade. Most likely, if you don't work you won't need a serious one. So excited for you and the new baby!
-Virginia
With the twins I pumped all the time but that was because Eli wouldn't nurse. I had a Lansinoh pump that died after using it every day for 6 months. This time around I bought the cheapest Medela pump. It's just a single, electric pump and I have barely used it. Like someone else said, it really only gets used so I have some milk to mix with cereal. I would almost wait until the baby is born and you figure out if he is going to be a good nurser because you don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that hardly gets used.
So I have the medela pump in style...found it on ebay for cheaper, brand new. For me it is a total necessity! Kameron is an awesome nurser, but right now while he's sick, he has lost his appetite so I've been pumping to keep it up. Plus, I figure when he starts on solids and won't be needing those nursings I can pump to have extra milk on hand for other feedings, babysitters, etc. I bought mine when I had Spencer and have used it with both, and will use it with the rest! I say, if you're going to get one, invest in a nice one so you don't end up buying 2 when the first one breaks!
I have a manual Avent pump that screws right onto a bottle that works great. I pump on the opposite side I nurse on and never have trouble (my milk doesn't let down too good for a pump alone). I like it better than the electric madela pump I got when Madelyn was a baby. I guess it depends on what your needs are...
I have an Ameda Purely Yours and LOVE it. However, I also pump anywhere from 2-4 times a day to add to my frozen milk storage since I work part time, and since I like taking a bottle places so that I'm not stressed if Bennett starts crying while I'm in line waiting to pay somewhere. A manual pump is probably fine for you if you're just pumping occasionally. I have heard good things about the Harmony manual pump, I think it's made by either Ameda or Medela.
I have the medela electric double pump. Our insurance covered like 100 bucks or something - so check with your insurance to see if any is covered. it ended up being cheap after that.
i loved it and used it with both kiddos. it was so nice especially with the second to be able to pump and bring a bottle when going out as well as have the hubby feed the baby. i also loved being able to pump and freeze the milk for when we wanted to go out on a date sans any kids. it was totally worth the money even though I didn't use it all the time.
good luck!
I don't know what kind I have--a Medela, but not the specific model. I do know that it was top of the line and cost us $300 that we really didn't have to spend at that time in our lives, and it was basically $300 down the drain. With four children, I've only used it a handful of times. But then again, pumping has always been really difficult for me (I've never pumped successfully unless I have the baby nursing on one side and pumping on the other) so I just felt like it was more hassle than it was worth,
Post a Comment