Monday, September 19, 2011

The Beauty of Autumn


I love autumn because it is a season of change.  The constant heat of summer fades, the days start getting shorter, and each evening brings with it crisp, cool air.  Kids go back to school. We start wearing different clothes, eating different foods, and gearing up for the holidays.  All of these things signal that the earth is changing, preparing for the stark winter months.  It is a beautiful change, don't you think?

When autumn comes I can't get enough of our world.  Every night I open the windows and let the cool air in.  I love the way it smells.  And every night I lay in bed, and look out my window watching the leaves rustle in the breeze.  I feel the cool air on my face, and I send all of my troubles out the window into the night sky.

Breathe in fresh air.

Breathe out fear.

Breathe in the promise of change.

Breathe out self doubt.

Breath in the love of God

Almost every day for the last week I have been asking Matt when we can go spend some time in the mountains.  So he decided he will take off work this coming Friday (the first official day of fall!) and Monday, just so that we can go be outside together.  We will take Aubrey up into the mountains and let her wander and explore.  We will wear sweaters, smell pine trees, build a fire, and let the beauty of the Earth renew our spirits.  It is sure to be a beautiful weekend.

Care to join us?

5 comments:

Matt said...

I would love to join you. The leaves are just starting to change color here. I told my co-workers today that it feels like Halloween. I'm sad my too-short summer is over, but I do love autumn. Plus, now that the weather is starting to turn wet, I can refocus on my winter projects that I've been putting off for months.

Hoenes Family said...

I wish I could join you. I miss Fall so much.

Jill said...

Oh I love the fall...I really wish it could stay like this all year round. But then, it might not be as beautiful...we'd love to join you if Ryan had work off, maybe Saturday??

Eliza said...

You captured my love affair for this time of year so beautifully!

Breath in fresh air.
Breath out fear.
Breath in the promise of change.
Breath out self doubt.
Breath in the love of God.

I think I found a new mantra for my autumn runs, thank you :D Have a wonderful Friday.

Ashley said...

I love it too! My favorite time of the year for sure! Let me know when and where you are going Friday and maybe Max and I will join you (if you don't mind a fourth and fifth wheel) George is taking the scouts camping Friday night.