Last year on a whim, we decided to go up American Fork Canyon on the first day of fall for dinner and exploring. Matt had gotten home early from work, so I packed a few sandwiches, chips, and drinks...and off we went. I recall it being one of the best days ever. So we decided to start a family tradition of spending the first day of Fall (the Autumnal Equinox) in the mountains together every year. Yesterday was the first day of Fall, and we have a marvelous time together. The leaves up American Fork canyon are already changing. There are bright red and yellow patches all over the mountain, but it will only get better in the next week or two...so don't miss it! We will definitely be going up again.
This year we had a bit more time to plan, so we got wood for a fire (it's cold up there!), brought some camp chairs, and yummy food. It turns out that hot dogs really taste divine when they've been cooked over a fire, Aubrey is a huge fan of s'mores, and Stella likes the mountains too. Matt really wished that we were camping over night, but seeing as how my pregnant self has a hard enough time sleeping in a comfortable bed...I think we made the right choice. Maybe next year!
Everything was lovely, except that Matt forgot his jacket. But we brought a blanket, and he wrapped up in that and stayed close to the fire. We talked to Aubs a bit about the seasons and how they change. We told her all the reasons we love fall so much. I think she loves it too. And we are really looking forward to keeping this tradition alive through the years. It's such a wonderful opportunity to be thankful for our beautiful world!
5 comments:
I remember when y'all did this last year. SUCH a cute tradition!
How fun!
Love it! What a great tradition. Aubs looks super happy, and totally worn out in the last picture, which means a good day was had!! Fall always reminds me of how blessed we are!
I love hearing about family traditions! I am envious of the Fall tradition of yours as you already know! So much fun!
Great idea! You guys are such a cute family.
Post a Comment