Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mothers and Daughters

I know, I know.  I haven't blogged in FOREVER.  I just wasn't in the mood for a while.  And then it became one of those things.  You know.  Like, the longer you wait to do it, the harder it becomes.  But I'm here!

Well, one of the things that has brought me back to the blogging scene, is a recent trip I took to Ohio.  It was really special, and I know if I don't write about it now while it's fresh on my mind...I will regret it.


Ohio might seem like a kind of random place to go on a trip, but that is where both of my parents are from, and where some of my Grandparents live.  Back in December, after talking to my Grandma (my mom's mom) on the phone at Christmas, I had this really strong feeling/desire to go and visit her.  My mom had a trip planned to see her in April, so I decided to go with her.  And I am so glad I did.

I am ashamed to admit how long it had been since I last saw my grandma...but needless to say, it was too long.  I was there Thursday through Sunday, but my mom stayed a few days longer.  Mostly we spent our time visiting, and helping Grandma with some things.  We ran errands to the grocery store, did some cleaning that is too hard for my Grandma to get to, and my mom spent some time helping Grandma get some things in order for the future.  And we ate way too much.

But most of all, we talked.  And talked and talked.  My Grandma is getting old, and is having a harder and harder time getting around.  But her mind is as sharp as a nail.  She told me stories about my late Grandpa, and my aunt (who passed away when I was 10 or 11).  We talked a lot about her childhood, adolescence, and early years of marriage.  She told me so many stories.  And we laughed.  Oh boy did we laugh.  We cried a little too.

One of the most special aspects of this visit, was being with my mother...and watching her be with her mother.  I watched how my mother cared for my Grandma, with complete devotion and patience.  My mother is my Grandma's only living child, and she bares a great responsibility.  And she bares it with grace and fortitude.  She is pretty much my hero.

More than once during our visit, my thoughts were turned to "the circle" of life.  I thought about how, as mothers...we give so much of ourselves to our children.  We devote our lives to caring for them, teaching them, helping them to be healthy and happy.  And it is hard.  So hard.  But we do it, because we want to do it.  Because our Mother hearts tell us to do it.  But someday, the children will return the favor.  The children will make the sacrifices, make hard decisions, and give back a portion of what they were given.  Our mothers bring us into this world, and we help ease the pain as their time in this world comes to an end.

My Grandma did it for her mother.  My mother is doing it for my Grandma.  Someday, I will do it for my mother.  And if I am lucky, someday one of my children will do it for me.

I am so very thankful for the strong women in my life.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Great post! I'm so glad you got to go spend some woman time bonding with your mom and g-ma! Sounds like you had a great time, and got to hear some amazing stories! Isn't it amazing how we all return to infancy at some point in our lives and hope that we've raised our children right so that they return the favor and ease us out of this world?
p.s. I am thankful for you too!

Chiara said...

Beautifully said!

Ashley said...

So sweet! I think about that sometimes too... I feel like my parents have done so much for me, and that no gift, or amount of money could really be given to repay them... I think we repay them by giving our full love and devotion to our own children, as they have to us. And then, like you said, we care for them on their way out.

whitney said...

Thank heavens for the women in our lives. Great post, Megan :)