Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Smile On My Face


Make fun of me if you want to, but I got some news yesterday that made me SO happy!  It's the best news I've gotten in months!  My beloved Avett Brothers are coming back to Utah this summer!  I got the email, jumped up and down for a few minutes, and called Matt to share the excitement.  And today we bought our tickets.

I know I might come across as a bit obsessed.  Or a lot obsessed.  But the truth is, that The Avett Brothers music has really gotten me through some difficult times.  It all started back in 2009, when I hiked The Grand Canyon from rim to rim.  We had just discovered the group, and were quickly falling in love with their unique style of music.  I remember, as I was hiking the last leg of the treacherous hike, listening to the song Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise.  There are lyrics in that song that say...

There was a dream
One day I could see it
Like a bird in a cage
I broke in and demanded that somebody free it.

I listened to it over and over again.  I drew strength from those words as I was walking with blistered feet, across 24 miles of rough terrain.  And that wasn't the last time that listening to their music has lifted my spirits.

Over time our love for their music grew and grew.  We bought more albums, watched youtube videos, and started seeing them in concert.  And so, their music became the soundtrack to our lives.  I listen to them while I cook, and we listen to them when we clean the kitchen after dinner.  I listen to their quieter songs when I'm in the bathtub.  It is the ONLY thing Aubrey wants to listen to in the car.  She made that very clear after I got the new Adele album.  She would whine and whine until I switched the CD back to the Avetts.

And it is such a fun things for Matt and I to share together.  Going to their concerts and singing and dancing along has been such a fun thing for us.  We both equally love and appreciate their music, and have made some awesome memories by seeing their shows together.

So, tease me if you must.  Call me crazy and obsessed.  But I've been needing something to cheer me up over the last few weeks...and this has done it:)

3 comments:

Chiara said...

If you are crazy and obsessed.....then we are too! Yeah for good obsessions! I found Macks singing Bella Donna today in his room while he was playing Legos. I about died. Cutest thing ever!!

Jill said...

Yay for something good coming up! It's not crazy or obsessed, it's great to have something that you can relate to so well, and you're right, what an awesome thing for you and Matt to share and make memories with!! Ryan and I are polar opposites with music...we'll never get on the same page!

Ashley said...

I don't think it's crazy... I think it's great! George and I share our love of country music, and it's so nice to have that because we both look forward to things like concerts, country dancing, American country music awards on my birthday :) etc!!