Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dear Diary,

 (Watching Sesame Street while recovering, cell phone quality)

My, what a day it has been.  This morning we had to take Aubs up to Primary Children's Hospital to have some dental work done.  Normally it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do a few fillings and seal a few teeth, but for our girl it is.  They needed to do it under sedation, and since she is at higher risk of aspirating (due to the hypotonia) they would only perform the procedures at PCMC in a surgical room, under general anesthesia, and with a breathing tube down her throat.

So we woke up at 5:00 am, got ready and ate breakfast.  Then we woke up Aubs at 6:00 am, left at 6:20 and got to the hospital around 7:10.  Everything went fine.  They gave her a dose of Verset before they actually put her under.  It made her calm, relaxed, and a little loopy.  Worked like a charm!  Kinda made me wish they could sell that stuff over the counter, if you know what I mean.  Wink, wink.  Then after that was fully in effect we walked her back to the O.R. and the anesthesiologist took her back and put her under.  About an hour and fifteen minutes later they finished and let us go back to the recovery room, where Aubrey was just waking up.  That part sucked.  She was so sad, and confused, and royally ticked about the I.V. in her arm.  It was really hard to see her in that condition.  Breaks my mother heart a little.

She had been fasting prior to the sedation, so they wouldn't let us leave until she kept down some clear liquids.  So they gave her some apple juice, and we thought she was fine.  Just as we were getting ready to sign the paper work and leave, she barfed all over Matt.  It was pretty epic.  I'm talking major projectile.  Like nobody and no surface was safe.  But luckily it was just juice.  So we had to stay longer and try again.  She seemed to be keeping down her juice after that, so they let us go.  The cutest part of the whole day was when Aubrey got to take a wagon ride out to the car, because she was too woozy to walk, and we had too much stuff to carry out with us.  She just laid in the wagon, and sucked on her fingers and waved at people we passed in the hall.  Breaks my mother heart some more.

Then we went our separate ways.  Matt headed off to work, and Aubs and I headed home.  I ended up really wishing Matt and come with us though, because Aubrey ended up barfing 3 more times in the car.  Again, with the epicness.  But we were able to stop at Matt's parents house on the way and clean up a little bit.  Not the most fun moment of my life, let me tell ya.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, it was just a long day.  We got home at about 1:30 p.m. and Aubrey was only getting water.  Then after she took a short nap and slept off some more of the anesthesia, she was able to keep down some real food.  She is fine.  It is over.  Thank goodness for that.  And thank goodness for places like PCMC.  You never want to have to go there, but when you do it is a nice place to be.

We ordered pizza for dinner, then I went to Aubrey's parent teacher conferences and Matt put our girl to bed.  I will write about parent teacher conferences tomorrow.  But for now, I am thoroughly knackered.  Time to collapse.

xoxo,  Meg

4 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Oh man Megora, Kenzi reacted in a very similar way to the Anasthesia, it was horrible to watch. I am sorry you had to go through that. You are such a trooper. You handle things so well. I really admire that.

Matt said...

Oh my stars is that little girl adorable. And yes. I totally just typed Oh My Stars.

Sorry you had such a rough day. I remember having to have dental surgery when I was young to have a second baby tooth removed (one baby tooth fell out, a second one started coming in, and then my adult tooth started coming in on top of that). I was older, but I had the vomits too. Not quite as projectile, though. Gross.

I hope your car doesn't have fabric seats.

Ali said...

I feel like I just read a preview to a day in my life a few years from now...anytime Evan will need dental work it will have to be like this too. I pray he has good teeth.

Sorry it was a rough day! I'm glad it went generally well though all things considered and you guys are back home. :)

whitney said...

boo! for rough days. Sorry for all the hullabaloo surrounding dental work for Miss Aubrey. What a royal (expensive) pain in the butt!