Monday, June 21, 2010

The One I Call Nelsy

Matt accomplished something really incredible this past weekend.  He ran the Ragnar Wasatch Back relay with a team (of 12) from work.  Together they ran 188 miles from Logan to Park City, UT.  Matt's total contribution was 15.2 miles, and it was all in the mountains.  Brutal!  His team also nominated him to run the hardest stretch of the race, during which he went up almost 1700 ft. (elevation) in four miles.  The man is a machine.  There is no other way to put it.



Aubrey and I went up to Park City with Matt's parents and our nephew, to see his team cross the finish line.  It was a complete zoo up there, but it was so fun to see Matt accomplish this goal he has been working towards for several months, and we are very proud of him!

And of course, because we also celebrated Father's Day this weekend, I also wanted to take a minute and just say how truly blessed Aubrey and I are.  You see, I have a really amazing father myself.  So when I was dating, I had really high expectations for the kind of husband and father I was looking for.  And over the past (almost 6) years, Matt has met and exceeded so many of my expectations.  Not the least of which, are his skills as a father.  His relationship with Aubrey is strong, and special, and so vital to her growth.  And the love and tenderness he has for his daughter continues to be one of the most extraordinary blessings in my life.

3 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

That is so great he ran the Ragnar! My family all wants to do that in the next few years together.

Ashley said...

The real impressive part was that he was outside running again the next day! I would have been sore.

whitney said...

Ooo, very impressive! My little brother- and sister-in-law did it this year (and last) and it just sounds so darn hard! That's just so crazy-cool!