Our Sunday dinner was over. Ice cream bowls had been licked clean, dishes were being done, and the kids were scattered about Grandma and Grandpa's house. In a rare moment of solitude I snuggled up to my husband on the couch. He wrapped his arms around me and we sat there together for a while just resting.
We watched Aubrey walk over to her older cousin Kylie, and hand her a movie. Kylie talked to her about the movie. Aubrey tried to grab her book, but Kylie just smiled at her. Aubrey put her slobbery mouth on Kylie's pants, but Kylie just stroked her head and softly reminded..."Don't bite" with a smile. Aubrey grabbed Kylie's hand and lifted it in a gesture saying "Come with me!" Kylie got up and followed Aubrey where she wanted to go.
My heart smiled. I looked at Matt and said "I wish every child could love Aubrey the way her cousins love her."
"I know. Me too." he said.
There are many children who just don't know how to deal with Aubrey. They don't understand her strange mannerisms, or her lack of speech. They watch her, unsure of what to do or say or think...knowing that there is something different about her, but not sure what. They are scared when she tries to hold their hand or hug them. They avoid her.
It makes us sad.
But Aubrey has her cousins, and she always will. What a blessing they are to her. She will always be loved and accepted by them. That is what families do after all. But the gift they give is not just showing love to their special cousin. It is also a gift to us, her parents. The gift of a safe and loving environment for our daughter to grow up in. The guarantee of thousands of happy Sundays yet to come.
4 comments:
She's a lucky girl having cousins around. I wished for it sooooo bad when I was little! And hopefully she will have as many siblings to run and play with who will love her even more!
p.s. your hair looked cute today!
I love this. What a wonderful thing. It's true there is just something different when you are family. Unconditional love seems to run in the blood when you are family.
I love the way you write.
I think it is partly parents' fault for not teaching their kids that there are many people out there who are "different", and my different I mean in regards to race, color, abilities, skills, culture, etc. I hope more and more people will open their families eyes and hearts to wonderful sweet and special children like Aubs!
hugss
Aren't cousins the best? I'm so glad Aubrey has so many wonderful ones. They really will be there through thick and thin.
Post a Comment