Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lately


Life with Aubrey has been a little crazy lately. I don't know if she is sick, or teething, or growing, or whatever...but this girl is CRANKY all the time, and it sucks dirty canal water. I emailed Matt at work today and asked him if I could hire a nanny. That's how craptastic this week has been. I am a stay at home mom with one child, and desperate for a nanny!

On a more positive note, Aubrey has been doing pretty well with her walking. When Matt and I are both working with her she will take 4 to 5 consecutive steps without holding on to anything. Her progress may be at a snails pace...but it's progress and I'll take it. She has also learned four new signs this week. This is awesome because I feel like our biggest frustration right now is Aubrey's inability to communicate with us. Whining and screeching all day long is hard to hear! I know it is frustrating for her too, though.

I've started going back to the gym, and it has been great. Tonight I ran for 25 minutes on the treadmill, and I didn't even listen to any music (because the battery on my Zune died five minutes in). I know it sounds dumb, but I was really proud of myself. Sometimes I think I use music as a crutch to get through my workouts, and the fact that I was able to do my whole run with no distractions felt great. Instead of listening to music or watching t.v. I was able to just think.

I've really been enjoying the rainy weather here lately...it's so rare for this area. But today I think I hit my limit. I'm ready for the sunshine and warmth that usually accompanies June!

Stella is doing great. I feel like she is pretty well house trained at this point, which is a huge relief. She hasn't had an accident in the house for a long time. She has started letting us know when she needs to go out by sitting on the rug by the back door and looking at us until we notice. She has been a lot of fun to have around, and we're really happy that we got her. She and Aubrey are getting along great, and Aubrey is even learning how to throw Stella's ball for her.

Aubrey has her first appointment with the geneticist next week. I am looking forward to it. We've had to wait for 7 freaking months! This visit will just be a consult, where they will likely ask us a billion questions about our family health history, Aubrey's development, etc. They've asked us to bring pictures of her from the time she was a newborn all the way up till now. It should be interesting. Depending on what they recommend in terms of testing, we may or may not be able to have any done. After talking with our insurance company it's unlikely that they will cover the costs of the tests...which are ridiculously expensive. So we will see. As strange as it sounds, I love our visits to Primary Children's. They are never easy, but it is always so nice to talk to specialists and ask a million questions and feel a little closer to understanding Aubrey's unique challenges.

I think that is all for now.

5 comments:

Chiara said...

I think my new favorite word just might be craptastic. That is a good one Megan!! I think my Madden (7 yrs old) must have what Aubrey has....because he can't stop whining either and I'm going to lock him in a closet with duct tape on his mouth if he doesn't stop!

Nat said...

Well since puppy potty training has been going so well for you. . .I need tips! Pocket does good at going outside as long as we take the initiative to take her out every couple hours, otherwise she has no problem peeing on the floor. She was not trained at all when we got her which is why I think it's taking so long. What's your secret??

Melanie said...

That's all, huh? Not an overwhelming list at all- but at least you see the silver lining in all those clouds! Hope you get a break soon!

Somer said...

Maisy whines a lot too. So I get the communication obstacle. It is so frustrating!

I can relate to liking visits to the children's hospital. When I'm there things don't feel so different and everyone is so reassuring. I feel like a better mom than I really am.

Chelsea and Jay said...

Megs-

I am sad I was right by your house and didn't call either. To be honest, the wedding was so crazy with prep and what not I didn't see anyone while there. I am sorry. I just caught up today on reading your blog. I love to read it. How wonderful that you live in a beautiful area with a temple right there and have such a wonderful family. I can only imagine the challenges you are facing with Aubrey, but I think you are doing a wonderful job from the sounds of it. You know, it's been said that if everyone put all of their trials in a pot we would still choose the ones we were given?!? Sometimes it doesn't feel that way- I can attest to that. Anyhow, keep faith and keep on keepin' on. You're doing great!