
Recently Matt attended a training seminar for work where they were required to read the book "Who Moved My Cheese", a book commonly used in companies to teach their employees how to deal with change. Basically it is an allegory about some mice who are in a maze looking for their cheese, which has been moved. It shows the different ways the mice deal with the cheese being gone. One just complains about the cheese being gone, one gets angry because it feels entitled to it's cheese, etc. It's a pretty cheesy book (pun intended), but in the context of the business world it makes a lot of sense...especially when you replace the cheese with money.
It is relevant on so many levels. We all have cheese (something we want in life), and at some point or another our cheese moves, or disappears, or is lost for a while. Tonight as I was conversing with Matt about our challenges with Aubrey and how hard it is to let go of my vision of what I thought our family would look like, he reminded me that my cheese has moved and I need to figure out what I want to do about it. Do I wait for my cheese to just magically reappear? Do I whine because I feel entitled to my cheese? Do I just expect to never have my cheese? Do I go out and search for new cheese...better cheese?
I love my life, and I love my family. But I am constantly reconciling myself to the unexpected challenges that we have faced over the years, and the challenges I know lie ahead. Sometimes it feels as if my cheese is continually being moved, and I am having a hard time finding it. So if you see me and I am looking a little lost, it's just because I am looking for some new cheese.
Ugh. I'm suddenly feeling lactose intolerant.
5 comments:
Maybe when your cheese is moved, it's God's way of telling you to become a vegan. :)
Seriously, though, I feel you here. I think both of us go through feeling a little lost because things didn't turn out the way we expected them to. After a while, I just decided to stop looking for the cheese entirely. Along the way, other little tidbits that I wasn't expecting and couldn't have planned popped up. Maybe I haven't gotten my big payoff at the end of the maze, but I'm enjoying the trip through the maze a lot more now that I'm not so worried about what I'm going to find at the end.
And now I need to go and shoot this analogy in the head. Luvs!
dude...I'm always looking for my cheese. It is different cheese than yours, but it is cheese nontheless. We can run around together looking crazy!! ;)-
Okay, Stella is so dang cute....can Macks and I come over one day and play with you guys? Macks LOVES puppys!
Megora, you crack me up. Lactose intolerant! I like the cheese analogy. Sounds like you are getting a taste of a lot of different cheese's.
Matt-yes, maybe becoming a vegan is the answer! Then I can look for bean sprouts instead of cheese:)
Chiara-Macks can come over and play anyime! We would love it:-)
I really enjoyed reading that. It is so true in many senses. It reminded me a little of that "Welcome to Holland" story you had on your blog a while back. I'd read that story years and years ago, and it was nice to read it again!
Post a Comment